three.

"Luna, get away from there. You know the rules, don't bother them in the mornings—"

Camila looked into the living room one morning while making breakfast to see Luna crouched on the floor in front of the door to Shawn's place.

She jumped up and Camila saw her holding a folded piece of paper. She sighed as she came over and held her hand out.

"Give it."

Luna handed the note to Camila and she unfolded it, trying not to smirk at Seth's childlike handwriting.

'do you want to play monter truks at scool?'

"Luna, go sit at the table and eat breakfast." Camila said sternly, watching her run into the kitchen before reluctantly knocking on Shawn's door.

He seemed to be in the middle of making breakfast as well when he answered, a dishtowel draped over his shoulder.

"What's up, neighbor?"

Camila handed him the note, watching him unfold it before reading it out loud.

"Do you wanna play monster trucks at school?" He read before glancing back up at her, grinning. "You couldn't wait until you saw me at school to ask me this, Camila?"

"It's—your son—" Camila said, ignoring his joke and feeling her face flushing. "He's passing notes to my daughter."

"Yeah, you know the rules—" Shawn said firmly over his shoulder to Seth. "You can't bother them before school. Plus, you spelled monster and trucks wrong. And school."

"It's okay." Camila sighed, trying not to laugh. "Kids will be kids, I just don't want them to make it a habit. I'll talk to Luna."

"And I'll talk to Seth." Shawn said. "Sorry—uh, see you later."

"See you." Camila closed the door before going back into the kitchen. "Luna?"

"I'm sorry, Mommy." Luna kept her eyes down on her plate. "Seth just said he had to ask me something important."

"Well, in the mornings, the only important thing is making sure you're both getting ready so no one is late to school, okay? Now, finish your breakfast and we can leave early. That should give you some extra monster truck time."

"Okay!" Luna hurried to eat her oatmeal and toast as Camila went to pour some coffee in her thermos.

She didn't realize she was still smiling to herself over Shawn's joke, until Luna looked over.

"What's so funny, Mommy?"

"Nothing." Camila quickly wiped the smile off her face. "Let's finish eating, okay?"

She turned the radio on in the car and couldn't help but let her mind wander as they drove towards the school.

Shawn was such a dork. He was always making the lamest jokes she'd ever heard and then grinning like it was some sort of win when she laughed.

But she only laughed because it was so painfully try-hard and unfunny. She supposed it made sense, he was around little kids all day so he curated his sense of humor to make them laugh.

But it only worked on little kids, definitely not on her.

He didn't get that she laughed because it wasn't funny, not because it was.

Such a dork.

Camila still walked Luna to her classroom, even though school had been in for almost a month. Luna knew the way by heart, not needing to hold Camila's hand and running ahead of her just slightly.