Chapter 2

"That's it babe," I yell to Francesca as she teeters on her shakes but fights to keep herself from hitting the ice after her jump

"That's it babe," I yell to Francesca as she teeters on her shakes but fights to keep herself from hitting the ice after her jump. "Keep pushing babe you got this!"

My first practice with the Islanders isn't for another hour but I joined Francesca this morning at the rink for a little tour of the place and to watch her run both her championship routines. After everyone left we were basically living at the rink with times open almost all day minus the two hours of open skate on friday. This gave her time to plan both her routines which are significantly harder than the ones she was doing during the school year. But I already see vast improvements in them from when she started and she is already constantly nailing two of the new moves she's never competed before. I can't help the proud smile on my face as I watch her spin across the ice.

"How was that," she asks out of breath as she leans against the wall in front of me.

"You're still under rotating the lutz at the end but I think it's because you're getting tired, building up stamina will help."

"Did you see I didn't fall out of my spin today at the end?"

"I did," I smile before leaning forward and kissing her. I can feel her smile against my lips feeding off my praise.

"Now go run your short program for me."

"Ry," she whines even though she is already pushing off the wall. Because of the demands of school the competitions during the school year only consist of one free skating program but her summer competition has both a free skate and short program. I am trying to make sure she practices both evenly but after running her free program twice this morning I know she is tired.

"Get that little cute butt moving Beck," I yell as she pouts at me still skating backwards.

"Can I rest for a few more minutes," she begs.

"Yeah come here do you want your water?"

Francesca skates back to the wall I am leaning against and reaches out for her water I have. "Are you nervous for today?"

I nod then shrug not really sure how I feel. I am nervous but not really. More anxious to just meet everyone and start than like nervous. I have been playing hockey since I was a little kid, once on the ice I know I can prove myself. My weakness is I am not a people person.

"Just be yourself," she tells me in between sips of water.

I cringe thinking about what being myself entails. Being a dick. Sarcastic. Kind of rude. Definitely a little mean. "You sure about that Butt?"

Francesca pauses for a second and thinks. "Well... ok maybe fake it a little, just a tad. The condescending tone could be a little off putting."

"I am not condescending," I argue.

"You called me ice princess behind my back for weeks," she counters. I pale a little not realizing she knew about that. "Yeah Bray snitched on you."

"Fucking Peter," I mumble annoyed at my own best friends betrayal.