Epilogue 4

February 2, 2023

February 2, 2023

My phone vibrates on my desk again, so I finally slip it onto my lap to check it. I rarely check my phone during class, especially in Greenwood's class, but it's been vibrating non stop for the last few minutes. Realistically it's probably the house group chat planning their next prank but my brain needs to know it's not Francesca needing me.

When I flip my phone over I have 1 miss call from Luke and 3 texts. I open the texts to see what they say, already worried because Luke's never called me and he almost never texts me.

Luke: Hi Ryder it's Luke, are you in class?

Luke: hey sorry I called you're probably busy, but are you around?

Luke: Ryder I'm sorry to bother you but could you call me back? Please

I can practically hear the kids' fear through his texts. I check the clock and there is still 30 minutes left but I don't wait. I slide my arm across the desk shoving all my stuff into my backpack in a heap before rushing from the room. I am barely out of the room before I'm calling Luke back.

"Hey Ryder I am so sorr-"

"Luke it's totally fine, what's up man?," I cut off his apology before he can finish. I don't want him or anyone else to ever feel bad and apologize if they need me. It's clearly important.

"I'm really sick and I can't get out of bed and I'm hungry and alone and... I hate to ask but could you come over?"

I was already heading toward Luke's dorm but I pick up the pace as his voice shakes. He's in bad shape and I can tell that without even seeing him. "I'm already on my way you hold tight alright man. I'll be there in a few minutes, ok?"

"Thank you," he coughs and then I hear the phone clatter to the floor as Luke throws up. I think he's done as the toilet flushes but then I hear another weak cough and more puking.

I open up the Panera app like I did a year ago when Francesca was sick. All I know is I hope this kid has a thermometer because I will not be kissing his fucking head thats for damn sure. Forehead kisses are reserved for Francesca only. Besides I still never figured out how to tell if someone is running a fever or not and trust me, me, Bray, and Stan tried to figure it out. Never thought I'd be sitting in the living room kissing my two best friends heads and them kissing mine; but honestly not the weirdest thing the three of us have ever done.

I get to Lukes door and lucky someone is leaving just as I get to the door so I slip in through the open door. I take the stairs two at a time as poor Luke continues to violently throw up. I can't take listening anymore, so I hang up just as I reach his floor. His bedoor door is open so I throw my backpack inside before heading to the bathroom where I know I will find him.

Sure enough I get to the bathroom and find him curled up on the disgusting floor of the communal bathroom. I gag a little at the sight not because the puke, literally on his cheek, but because I have lived in the cease pool that I call home long enough to know the horrors that go on in the men's communal bathroom. Thank god I made captain my second year living in the house and got my own private bathroom, because the athlete's foot that goes around our house constantly makes not showering sound almost inviting.