Chapter 14

"I am getting my ass kicked," I note as I stare at the playing cards in my hands trying to decide my next move

"I am getting my ass kicked," I note as I stare at the playing cards in my hands trying to decide my next move. No one responds, but I didn't expect them to.

"Babe?" Ryder's voice pulls my attention from the cards I'm holding to him, leaning on the doorframe staring at me in amusement as I sit on my bed playing cards. "What are you doing?"

"We are playing 21," I tell him, gesturing to the scene spread out on my bed to make it obvious.

"Who is winning," he smiles, still leaning watching me. He just came back from the gym and hasn't showered yet so his shirt is off giving me a great view of his abs and the small hickey I accidentally left on his neck last night. Admittedly I got carried away as he fucked me against the shower wall for what felt like hours. Thankfully my nails are short enough that the red marks all over his shoulders and back were gone by this morning.

"Elle," I sigh in defeat as I lay my cards down. Elle is the only one of the rats still entertaining me, while Sofie sleeps and Penelope chews up her cards. My sweet Elle girl is sitting holding a pile of cards in her tiny hands looking at me.

"Ah that is my girl," he smiles proudly, walking across the room and sitting on the ground next to the bed. Elle abandons her cards quickly to run over to Ryder and greet him. His smile grows even bigger as she climbs across his arm onto his shoulder.

I tuck little memories like this away in a special place. A special place that gives me hope for our future; a future full of kids that look like a combination of me and him. Ryder didn't just think he was unlovable a few months ago he also thought he was unable to love. Now everyday he proves himself wrong without even realizing it. With me, with our friends, with the ladies; he constantly proves how big his heart is.

"How was your workout?"

"Good, Coach made me squat Dob. I never realized how dense the dude was until his fat ass was on my back."

"I bet you couldn't squat me," I laugh. Ryder carries me around like I am weightless almost daily so it is a pretty stupid challenge.

"Nope probably couldn't," he teases back before leaning forward and kissing me quickly. He is still recovering from yesterday's embarrassment of getting caught. I am just glad us making out in the pool was all my family saw because 5 minutes earlier and things could have been bad.

"I tried to call you earlier by the way and you didn't answer," Ryder notes and I look away not wanting to tell him why. It makes him worry and I hate when he worries.

"Did you need something," I ask, avoiding the true question he was asking.

"Do we have plans for the 4th on Monday?"

"No, Tom and Noah both have other plans so it is just us."

"Good Capt is having a BBQ and invited us, I will tell him we will both be there."