✠︎ The White Dragon✠︎

The air felt cold as if I was standing in front of a window during a snowstorm. It had a different feeling than my dream. While traveling through my memories I felt warm, I felt the same way as when my father used to tuck me in for the night. Waking up felt so hard to do, I was so eager to stay and dream of easier times.

I struggled to open my eyes and re-arrange my thoughts, this dream was so odd. I did not know why, I was not sure what was the case but it felt uneasy. After a while, I ended up opening my eyes and the glistening blue sand reminded me that I was very far away from my childhood home. It reminded me of my mission and the relationship I came to have with this strange guy.

"Ah... You are awake at last! I thought you were fighting monsters of the unknown in your sleep. You were so restless I had to do a reading for you, did you know that?"

"No, no. I had no idea because of a very simple fact. I WAS ASLEEP!" I screamed while kicking my legs at him like a toddler. I felt like he knew I would get irritated and he said that regardless. It made me laugh inside, I had to be honest at least with myself. And it did because it reminded me of my father and his jokes. Why did this boy make me think of my papa, though? Papa?... That was so weird. I have never called my father that, not since my young years.

"Oh my god, this will be so much fun! I can feel it in my palms, they have been itching so much since we met. That, my dear companion is considered as a sign!" he declared and got up but not before letting out a loud gasp.

I turned myself around just as he was bumping his head on the branch of one of the trees we had decided to rest under.

We were almost out of the Blue Desert. If I could pinpoint how far, I would say we were close to the Silver Waterfalls. In this place, the sand is getting a darker, more sea-like blue color. When Pyr and I met, the dirt on the ground looked almost purple with a hint of grey. I should have gathered some in a vile and kept it as a souvenir... I just hope I can do something similar when all this ends... I hope it does...

Returning to reality I saw my dorky companion holding his hand and doing a very odd breath exercise. This sight made me forget for a moment how lonely this mission my father put me on made me feel. I let out a loud laugh and got up, I was short enough so I could pass under those branches without touching them with my head.

I looked at Pyr with my eyes filled with tears from all the laughing and said in a cheery voice:

"You just have to tie a small thread on your pinky so you'll never forget this incident. You are tall enough to reach fruits from trees if you wanted to and yet you can't seem to remember that being this tall can put you in a situation like this?" I tapped on his shoulder and moved a bit toward the exit. "I mean, look at me! I would never find myself banging my head on branches! I am the perfect height!" I ended my sentence and headed away from him.

This was so funny, I could almost feel him fuming behind me but after a few minutes, he decided to come with me and sit at the edge of a big cliff that was situated close to those trees that we called home last night. Pyr seemed rather content, I had a suspicion he would continue this banter but I was wrong.

"Cassandra, we need to establish some rules before we continue beyond the Silver Waterfalls. Are you ok with me laying some groundwork first?"

"Huh? For the 0,5 seconds I have known you, you did not give me the impression of someone who asks so nicely. Ahhh... I guess I will play along, by all means, show me, Mr. Pyr!"

I had decided on being a good team player, that way I could find the answers I was looking for and go back to my mission and he could disappear the same way he appeared in my life. I heard myself and I sounded so mean, but I was aware of the dangers that came with me having a  traveling companion. I had to be tough and discard every single obstacle because if I did not, that person would get hurt. I knew that and I had to honor my father's wish.