Chapter four

When you opened your eyes again, you were laying on a hospital bed. There were some bandages here and there for small injuries, and a big one in your left leg, where the cut was made. 

You supposed that it had been operated on, because you could feel a throbbing pain in the entire leg.

After some time contemplating, you finally took notice of the person sitting on a chair besides you.

"Grandpa.", you greeted him.

He had his eyes closed and gave no response. However, you could tell he was awake, which made the looming lecture all the more terrifying.

You waited for him to answer, but seeing that he'd still take some time, you reached for your cellphone on the shelf next to the bed.

It still had some battery, but it was sure to die in less than an hour. 

Quickly doing everything, you checked for the time, -1 in the fucking morning-, and then your messages.

You had been expecting texts upon texts, but instead there was nothing. No missed calls, no check-ins.

'...?', did you really mean so little?

"I haven't told anyone yet.", he said this, like kicking any thoughts of hiding this incident out of your brain.

It's not like you would do that. Nevertheless, you were thankful for his discretion. You'd rather be awake when dealing with the story telling.

"Thanks".

It was silent for a while. Grandpa Sano had already spoken, but it had been dry and short, so the same original tension remained.

Now more serious than ever, with the same tone of voice and expression he once scolded you for catching a cold willingly (in the Baji-Kazutora almost accident, of course), he said, "Explain".

Diligently, you spoke at his command, "I didn't expect to run across them. When I did, I had little time before they did something repulsive, so the only plan I came up with was this". 

"It was reckless".

"So that it was.", you admitted. "I'm sorry".

He stayed quiet for a second, before voicing out loud what you supposed he had been thinking about the entire time, "You could have died. Then, I would not be getting a call in the middle of the night for a leg surgery, but for a corpse". 

Having no response in mind for that, you shut your mouth and said no word. 

Of course you already thought of that. In fact, the entire time you played out the plan, your mind was plagued with the same thoughts. You had been terrified.

But you also thought of how terrified Grandpa Sano must've been when he received a call, when everything was completely dark and quiet, from a hospital telling him to come, because you had been beaten up.

It probably had been equal to yours.

"The knife hit a muscle and caused nerve damage. Not enough to make your leg useless, but you will have permanent discomfort in it.", he got up when saying this.

He walked to the hospital's window, which showed everything to still be dark outside. 

"The young man keeps thanking you. (Y/n)-Kun, your courage and quick thinking saved them.", turning to you and smiling, he said, "You did well". 

Ah, now you felt like crying.

He walked to the room's door. His gaze never leaving you, he spoke with a sincerely concerned and warm tone, "I only ask you also save yourself in moments like these".