Chapter 16

Ending It

Harry tread in front of the fireplace in the Gryffindor common room. For once it wasn't a bustle of activity, due to the fact it was rather late and all the students, par three, were in bed. The fire was the only source of light, it's warmth reaching out to the pacing figure and the two perched on the old scarlet couch, it's light, flickering on the crimson clad walls, restricted the darkness to linger out the wooden framed windows.

Bright blue and knowledgeable brown eyes watched the irate teenager pace in front of the fireplace like a caged tiger -or in this case, lion-. The slender bronze tail lashed behind him, striker the air and narrowly missing the hungrily dancing flames. The orange light from the fire reflected off the round glasses which framed deep green eyes, making the emerald colour glitter and look even more ferocious.

Hermione gave a soft sigh, closing the forgotten book on her lap, Harry's pinned back ear gave a single twitch in acknowledgement to the motion as silence overtook them again, disrupted only by Harry's footsteps, the crackle of the fire and their soft breathing.

It was Ron who first broke the stressed silence first but slapping his hands down on his knees with a deep exhale. "Well I don't know about you but I'm heading to bed" he said with a small smile which Hermione reflected and Harry almost. It was a near perfect rendition of the Weasley patriarch.

"Harry, Hermione?" the redhead questioned to his friends.

"I'll be up in a minute" Harry murmured from the fire, his pacing never faltering although it had slowed and his body had lost some of the pent up tension from before. Hermione looked as if she was about to follow but Harry caught her eye, hoping she would catch his meaning to stay. With a subtle nod the witch looked to Ron with a small smile.

"I'm heading up now too" she said as she stood, brushing off her skirt, approached the taller male and pecked him lightly on the lips. Grinning stupidly the redhead bid his girlfriend goodnight before ascending the stairs to the boys dormitory, leaving Hermione and Harry alone.

As soon as they heard the distant thud of the dorm-room door close, Hermione looked to Harry and perched herself purposely on the nearest armchair, hands on her lap and regarded Harry with curious eyes, the boy was obviously tense and anxious, leading to the conclusion he was upset or confused, possibly both.

"Harry" she pried after a moment of silence, interrupting the boy's train of thought, but he knew it was Hermione's prodding that would get it out of him. And he didn't know who else to turn to. Ron was obviously sick of hearing about his dilemma although he never said it out right and although he loved Ginny like a sister, he trusted Hermione with his life. And had done so on several occasions.

"I think Draco's cheating on me Hermione..." he rasped at last, his voice heavy and thick with upset. "I-I mean he never actually said...but...I, I just assumed he meant..." the Gryffindor broke off, voice wavering as he rested her forearm across the ledge about the fireplace, staring regretfully into the flames which continued to dance joyfully in the grate.

Hermione's eyes filled with sadness for the Saviour's aching heart, it wasn't hard to see how cheated and hurt the boy felt, it was all in his eyes, he had never been capable of building that wall to shield his heart like particular snakes were infamous for.

"Are you sure, Harry?" she queried at last, wanting, like always, to at least get the facts as Harry had a habit of assumption and leaping into things head first.

Slowly, the messy-haired male shook his head slowly. "Well...no, not quite, not really I guess. I...I haven't caught him outright shagging Nott" it was clear that saying such a thing pained him. "But...the other day" he mumbled. "I went looking for Draco. I hadn't seen him in weeks cause of all the prep for our OWLS...And y'know, I was wanting to see him, although I should have been suspicious when he'd been fine in class, no trace of sexual frustration what so ever, bastard" he growled, his limp tail giving a twitch of agitation. "Anyway, I found him in the dungeons, but he reeked of Nott, his scent was all over him, he looked thoroughly ravished and then he tried to play it off like it was nothing! Like Nott had just jumped him! I would have believed it if he hadn't of been fucking turned on, I could smell it!" the Gryffindor's voiced had raised as he threw himself onto the couch in dismay, burying his head into one of the old worn cushions, ears pinned back. Hermione sighed softly, moving from the armchair to perched on the edge of the couch and gently stroked the boy's rounded ear softly.