Arc 2 Chapter 19: Fear The Old Sea

I: Temporary Alliance

Ryuko's iron fist strikes the last biker at breakneck speed, knocking him off his motorcycle. Her legs continue their rapid movements forward as Senketsu supplies her with enough power from the Life Fibers to keep her moving with perpetual momentum. The rush of victory surges through her body.

A cloud of misty rain bathes Ryuko in a cooling blanket of relief. Salty water pelts her eyes; They begin to burn when the cold wind pressing on her face reacts with the rain.

Her heart beats to the rhythm of her heels clacking against the highway pavement.

Ryuko: Where did Mako go? I didn't see her fall behind... Maybe she rode further ahead?

An odd thump of her heart sends shockwaves of pain across her arms and legs. Senketsu was drawing too much blood to upkeep her speed.

Ryuko: The hell Senketsu? We're almost there! Cut that out!

Senketsu: Sorry Ryuko. Your heart can't handle too much more of this running. You gotta work on your cardio if you wanna run long distances with my support.

Ryuko: My heart can handle a few more miles! Just keep me goin'!

Senketsu: No. You'll have a heart attack. I can bring you back from a lot of things but that's not one of them. I'm cutting you off.

Ryuko's legs suddenly feel weak and her heart rate slows down. Senketsu unwraps from her body, shrinking down in size to become a black and red sailor uniform once more.

Ryuko: Oh come on! Really?!

She runs at a normal speed again. Her breathing intensifies as she quickly runs out of breath without Senketsu flooding her body with energy.

Senketsu: Your safety matters to me Ryuko. You can't just push yourself past the point of no return. I have to draw the line somewhere.

Ryuko: Jeez- you're staring to sound like my dad.

Just then, a car zips by Ryuko. It comes to a screeching halt a few hundred feet away then reverses back towards her.

Ryuko: Is that a taxi? Shit Senketsu I don't like the looks of this! Get ready!

Senketsu: I'll do what I can-

The red scissor blade in Ryuko's hand primes itself for more combat. She holds her ground as the taxi draws ever closer.

Then, it swerves to Ryuko's right side, missing her by a few inches. It comes to a stop with a violent jolt. The entire cabin rocks side to side.

The back seat passenger window rolls down, dragging Ryuko's rain washed reflection downwards and replacing it with the torso of an unknown person sitting in the seat opposite of the glass. All Ryuko could see of the person was a sundress.

Unknown Woman: Well well- going for a jog down the highway, are we Matoi?

The vocal inflictions of the woman inside the taxi was all Ryuko needed to identify her.

Ryuko: Kiryuin-

Satsuki: Matoi-

Ryuko's grip on her blade tightens as the thought of rushing Satsuki then and there bursts into her mind.

Senketsu: Bad idea, Ryuko. That didn't end well last time.

Satsuki: Need a ride?

Ryuko: A ride?! HA! Like I'd even wanna breathe the same air as you! Let alone get in a car with ya!

Satsuki: It's called diplomacy, Matoi. At Honnouji, you're my enemy. Out here in the wild, you're just another girl walking the streets in skimpy clothing.