unnerving troubles (chapter 1)

(Horikita's perspective)

The second semester resumed anew. Crowds of students occupied the formerly deserted corridors, as conversations about their break revived the liveliness on the grounds of the Advanced Nurturing High School.

The past weekend had been significantly long after the sports festival, so I was sort of eagerly looking forward to meeting class D as a whole again.

Though, I've obviously not been on speaking terms with Kushida lately.

Of course it appalled me that she would go to the extent of revealing her role as class D's traitor to expel Ayanokoji-kun and I, even if it meant..

disbanding class D's recently forged close association despite appearing innocent and outgoing with them.

However, I wanted to put that matter aside and confront it if I had to for the time being.

After departing from my apartment, I walked on the brick pavement leading to the school's main grounds.

A thought randomly evaded my mind;

Who was the true key to class D's current successful achievements? It bugged me.

Or was I just stealing all of somebody's credits?

Would I have made it on my own?

My burning desire to earn our class's title as A was not as easy to achieve as I thought, considering the school's point awarding system and exam plantation.

"Ugh.." I sighed.

Just then, I felt as though somebody was glancing at me.

"Hey, good morning Horikita, care to share what's lingering on your mind at the moment? You seem pretty conflicted."
Ayanokoji greeted me at the wrong moment.

He then interrupted my train of thoughts. "Do I really?" I questioned evasively, knowing that I'll be bashed with his answer.

"Yeah, it's evidently written on your face.

Is something the matter? But I won't be of any help."
He interjected.

How typical of him to add that into his response. He disliked having to be involved in problematic situations, according to his reactions to recent events.

Or rather, just watch from the sidelines.

"Ah, thanks for the concern, but my worries do not involve you regarding the matter.
So there's no need to worry."
I responded with unease.

Why do I feel this way?

I could not comprehend what I'm feeling, which was bizarre.

Silence then crept in between us, and I couldn't handle the awkward atmosphere as it lasted for a few minutes.

"Hey, Ayanokoji-kun. I'll see you during class. I have something urgent to attend to."I lied.

Without awaiting his response, I scurried away to the cafeteria.

Taken aback, Ayanokoji stopped in his tracks for a while as he watched me dash away.

He would have probably hinted the wrong thing by now.

"Are you ill?" I heard him call after me.

(Ayanokoji's perspective)

I caught sight of her dashing off to the direction of the cafeteria.
That was odd.

She usually acted stern and casual around me.

However, today was different.

Perhaps she's sick?