friend or foe? (chapter 8 story teaser)

The sophisticated glazed door opened as the cool air accumulated in the enclosed room gushed out. It was break time, and it was according to the teacher´s timetable.. She who escorted herself out of the area let out an exasperated sigh, gripping a boiling hot mug of coffee. Being in charge of Student council responsibilities was a hassle, and it also robbed plenty of her leisure time ever since it was assigned to her. Finally able to call it a day from monitoring the students progression,submitting reports, discussions for the upcoming special exams and administrative stuff which required her to indulge in a lot of paperwork, she headed back to the staff room to return to her personal desk and slack off.

The corridors where students used to linger around were so silent that you could hear a pin drop without any interruption.  All levels were ongoing lessons during school hours. 

The sound of her footsteps eluded as it´s echoes overlapped after one another signaling that someone was approaching the staff room. It didn´t occur to her that someone was impatiently waiting to make her appearance next to her desk and even if she did, the matter won´t be much of a deal to her.

¨Chie-san. You´re finally here,¨ said the other teacher who sat next to Hoshinomiya´s desk, unbothered by the sudden absence of her liveliness. Sitting on her chair, Hoshinomiya -sensei ushered herself towards her desk with a typical mundane expression. She ignored the teacher with smooth, silky black hair tied into a ponytail as she switched on her desktop. The screen ignited, yearning for log-in information. With the cooled mug of brewed coffee on her hand, she proceeded to take a sip, as though the presence of the other teacher never existed in the beginning. ¨I see. Student council is as troublesome as ever. They offered me the position last year, but I turned it down. I should say, I'm glad I did, if not I would be experiencing frequent mood swings as you do currently. Not to be too ecstatic about it though,¨ the teacher resumed to cut the silence.

At last, Hoshinomiya sighed. ¨Sae-chan, what exactly are you here for?¨

Indeed, it was very unusual for Chabashira to make an unplanned appointment in order to meet up with others. It was quite seldom of her. In Hoshinomiya´s case however, it was different. 

¨Nothing much, although it´s something important.¨ Chabashira indicated.

¨Important?¨ The oblivious brown haired teacher questioned.

.

.

.                    

.

.

Chabashira pondered for a moment to think over what she was about to say. Although she is quick witted to pinpoint to others on what they have done wrong, she is particularly hesitant to people whom she shares a close relationship with, and Hoshinomiya is classified in that list. After long deliberation, Chabashira began, 

¨I witnessed you and a student from class-C exchanged confidential information earlier privately.  As a result, you´re putting  class-b, you´re very own class, in grave danger. Surely you have realised that?¨

Upon hearing the statement, Hoshinomiya gently placed the mug on her desk. ¨ I am very well aware of that Sae-chan. To be frank, all I intend to do is to alter b´s mindset with what they´re about to experience. Its best to instill more effort to prevent than to cure, am I right?¨

Chabashira grimaced in response to her dear friend´s motive. ¨This isn´t like her,¨ she thought, pondering about her friend´s actions.  ¨What benefit would you gain by attempting to alter their mindsets? There is no guarantee for success. Additionally, the price to pay will be very demanding. If you were to keep in mind that it may cost a few students of your own.¨ Chabashira deliberately added, in hopes to hinder Hoshinomiya from accomplishing her plan.

Crossed armed, Hoshinomiya sighed exasperatedly. Casting a dark glance at whom she address as Sae-chan, she began,

¨Since you insist, you leave me with no choice but to make you recount the events that day.¨

¨On our second year, first special exam. When everything fell apart.¨

Hit with the sudden thought, Chabashira was rendered speechless.

Chabashira demanded with her fist clenched tightly, entirely disregarding her relations with Hoshinomiya, ¨Not only did you endanger the potential future your own students hold, it's undeniable that you had just violated a policy. You´re now at risk as I could report to the higher ups anytime.¨ In response to the threat directed at her, Hoshinomiya steeled herself in advance.  She had undoubtedly perceived this outcome. However, class b and her friendship with her sole childhood friend was in jeopardy. Why did she think that her plan would suffice if it cost her such an absurd sacrifice? Overwhelmed with spouting questions thrown at her, Hoshinomiya laughed in a sadistic manner. It was all it took to catch Chabashira off guard.

Stay composed.

¨I daresay, with the absence of me as b´s homeroom teacher, I assume that you think that a substitute would be enough to settle them with ease. However, such a simplistic reaction will contradict their feelings towards the schools´ extensive system. Ichinose and Kanzaki are bound to start forging suspicions due to my sudden removal, which could potentially harm class b´s friendly terms with class d.¨

¨Besides, I´m ready to take the risk.¨ Hoshinomiya showed no signs of unwavering. She was that affirmative.

No longer capable of convincing Hoshinomiya otherwise, Chabashira expressed a worried look.

¨By all means, then. I´ll try to act as a backup in case everything goes downhill.¨

Hearing the statement, Hoshinomiya´s eyes sparkled with gusto. Simultaneously, she sighed in relief.

¨Thank you.¨