geneiuses (chapter 9)

(Ayanokouji's perspective)

{11 14pm}

If I were made to decide upon a phrase to express the outcome of today, multiple answers would reside in me that I'll no longer be able to come up with an immediate answer.

Mulling over the series of unprecedented events, I settled on the conclusion that every student inhabiting this school had the ultimate goal of sneaking in as much time for enjoyment as possible, even in the midst of stressful periods.

Being an abstract goal, it could mean a variety of things, be it playing games, chatting playfully, spending time with friends and the such.

Who would've anticipated a seemingly hopeless case like Horikita... I mean Suzune to defy the odds and take the first step creating ties with people?

Albeit for reasons unknown, It has come to my attention that she has been jumping to rather serious topics when conversing with me lately.

Exiting one's comfort zone is another matter, whereas her disoriented behaviour in our conference during the study sessions has been bothering me lately.

I could identify that she was in disarray. But before I could indulge in the matter, we were rudely interrupted by classmates.

However, her personal troubles must have been temporarily settled with her newfound membership in the Ayanokouji-group. (mentioning it in any form of dialogue still felt abnormal)

To support my proposition, Suzune had been acting particularly eccentric throughout the gathering.

That alone made me relieved. I could prioritise tending to tomorrow.

Before calling it a day, I dialled a number on my smartphone. 

The receiver should be awake at this hour, nonetheless.

Afterwards, the display of pixels on my screen underwent a transition to project a profile picture of the receiver.

My speaker then activated and transmitted a voice.

'The student council president, Manabu Horikita has answered the call.'

¨... Ayanokouji? What matters do you want to discern at this hour? Before that, hold on a minute.¨

Our conversation was stalled for a minute as I heard faint footsteps at his side.

¨Alright. You can continue.¨ The older Horikita said through the speaker.

¨Are you aware of Nagumo stopping by our class to consult your sister two days ago?¨ I clarified.

¨Or rather, are you and Nagumo planning to compete against each other in the next special exam?¨ I added.

¨To answer your question, I would have to disclose information regarding the upcoming special exam. However, to maintain fairness within your cohort, I'll not allow your class to gain much of an upperhand to comply with the school's guidelines by minimising what I'll have to reveal. ¨

¨..Though it is appalling that he'd make a move before the exam begins.¨

¨Understood.¨ I replied.

¨While it is true that Nagumo initiated the competition, the special exam will still involve all 3 years. Meaning that collaboration between all levels is compulsory. Hence, all of us will be having the same special exam simultaneously.¨

¨Putting in mind that I'll be graduating soon, Nagumo desires to use anything in his possession to dismantle my class. It could be that he wants to use Suzune as a key to carry out whatever he has in mind.¨