𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐

SONG: Something In The Way by Nirvana

A few weeks later was the funeral of the mayor in the midst of the Riddler's chaos. Clara came from a wealthy family in Gotham, but they moved her across country when she was a child. Now she is back in Gotham to help her brother with the family marketing business. She and her brother were personally invited to the funeral.

So Clara and her brother Cane arrived to the funeral and stood on the steps outside the church talking. Clara wasn't big on networking like Cane was, so she often listened instead of spoke.

Minutes later as guests began to arrive, one that caught Clara's eye in particular came. A tall, pale man with tired eyes and dark hair dressed in a fine black suit and coat stepped out of a car, and around Clara came whispers of "Bruce Wayne."

Bruce adjusted his coat and looked around to see people protesting behind barriers and the city's elite dressed in black in front of the church. He walked up the steps to get into the church, and a policeman stopped him, asking, "Hey, hey, who are you?"

Before Bruce could speak, Carmine Falcone interjected and said, "Careful, this is the prince of the city." Falcone gave a sly smile through his mustache and sunglasses.

"Hello gentlemen." Cane Creed inserted himself into the conversation, shaking hands with the men around him as Clara stood behind him. "You must be Bruce Wayne- Cane Creed, nice to meet you." Cane smiled and extended a hand to Bruce. Expressionless, Bruce looked down and shook Cane's hand, nodding. He stood a head above all of the other men. "And how is Ms. Creed? Good to be back in town, huh?" Falcone asked loudly, drawing attention to Clara. "Well, thanks... and of course." she said dryly, forcing a small smile before looking to Bruce. "Shall we go in?" Cane asked, motioning for the group to enter the church. Clara stood back and waited for the men to file into the building, and Bruce stayed still as well. As soon as Cane and Falcone turned their backs, she gritted her teeth and tapped her foot twice, irritated.

"Not big on social gatherings?" Bruce moved beside her as they slowly began walking in line behind everyone else. His deep voice was quiet and clear. "I hear you're not either. Doesn't sound bad though, only coming out once every two years." Clara smiled tiredly. "You're Creed's sister, right?" he asked as he held the door open for her to walk in. He studied her, amused. "Clara." she said quietly, turning back. "Bruce." he extended his hand, shaking hers gently. His chiseled face looked softer now. "It's nice to meet you." Clara smiled, brushing her hair behind her shoulder. "You too." he gazed down at her as they walked.

They continued walking through the church through angry shouts of protesters.

"What brings you back to Gotham?" Bruce looked down at her, still speaking quietly. "This city is eating itself and I want to try and help my brother run the business." she furrowed her brows, looking up at him. Bruce looked at her amused once more, and almost, almost, cracked what barely resembled a smile.

Suddenly, the mayor-elect, Bella Reàl came up and intruded into the conversation. "Mr. Wayne, I've been meaning to speak with you, walk with me." she said, blowing Clara off. Bruce looked to Clara, and she nodded, giving a small smile. He, however, frowned as the woman took his arm and strode further into the church.

Once everyone was gathered into the sanctuary the choir in the balcony above began singing quietly. When everyone was just getting ready to take their seats, Clara could hear an engine revving faintly followed by shouts in the distance. She looked to her right where her brother was socializing still, and saw Bruce to her left who had somehow managed to get away from the mayor-elect. "Do you hear that?" she walked up behind him, whispering. He turned around slowly, his eyes scanning the room then falling on her. The noise became much louder and screams could be heard easily now, making everyone in the sanctuary get up and look to the large doors of the church.

Bruce looked up to the balcony in the midst of the commotion and saw him- the Riddler. His heart sank. "Get back!" Bruce whispered anxiously, grabbing her arm and tugging her behind him.

The noise grew louder still, and suddenly a car burst through the doors of the church. People screamed and scattered out of the way as quickly as they could. Clara ran to the left out from the middle of the aisle with Bruce, but he quickly turned around to grab the Mayor's son, and push him out of the way of the speeding car.

In shock, Clara was pushed aside as police surrounded the vehicle, pointing their guns to the car. Then the District Attorney of Gotham City emerged from the car, with his mouth duct taped and a bomb strapped to his neck. The police evacuated the building and Clara waited outside, trying to find her brother. Pushing through the crowd was Bruce Wayne, and Clara made her way towards him. "Are you okay?" he leaned down slightly, talking in a low voice. "Yes, yes I'm fine. I wanted to thank you and ask if you were okay too." Clara replied, worried. "Yes I'm alright, but we've got to get everyone out of here in case that bomb goes off." He looked around, eyebrows furrowed.

That was the most Bruce Wayne had ever said to her in one sentence.

"I'm afraid I have to go. Where is your brother?" Bruce asked, looking at her intently. "He's here somewhere. Thank you Mr. Wayne." Clara smiled up at him, slightly intimidated by his stature. Once again Bruce silently nodded, and his face returned to its usual expressionless state as he walked off.

Clara sighed deeply, putting her hand to her forehead. "Clara!" Her brother shouted from behind her. He pushed through the panicked crowd and she grabbed his arm saying, "Let's get the hell out of here Cane."