𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟔

SONG: Sextape by Deftones

About a week went by.

Clara was sitting in the den, scrolling through a list of nearby schools on her laptop, struggling to keep her eyes open. It was the evening, but she had been trying to be awake when Bruce got home and when he left.

Eyes tired, Clara looked up as a figure entered the den. It was Bruce.

"Hey." she smiled as he walked over to the couch. He sat down beside her, smiling, "Hey." He held up two envelopes, one that had already been opened. "What's that?" Clara yawned. "It's a charity ball being held at the museum. We're invited." he replied, handing her the unopened letter.

All of Clara's mail was sent to a P.O. Box that Alfred checked every two days.

She opened the letter, observing cursive writing, in gold, and signed by Mayor Bella Reál. "Hm." Clara said unenthusiastically, closing the letter. Bruce stared at her, holding in a smile. "Don't you want to go?" he asked, a piece of his messy hair falling over his forehead. "Not really." Clara frowned, eyeing him curiously. "What if I wanted to?" he asked, his eyes glistening. "Y-you want to go?" Clara stammered, confused.

"Only if you'll go with me." Bruce finally released a sly smile. "O-okay." she smiled too, surprised. Bruce reached into his pocket, pulling out a leather wallet. From it he removed a slick metal card, placing it in Clara's hand. "You'll need something to wear." his smile turned into more of a smirk. Clara laughed, looking him up and down, "Alright... Any preferences?"

He looked down, pursing his lips, "Surprise me." Clara pushed her laptop to the side, grabbing his cheek and kissing it, "I'm so excited!" He rubbed her arm, laughing, "Me too."

...

The following weekend was the charity ball.

Clara sighed, adjusting her dress in the dimly lit bathroom mirror. She checked her phone, it was 7:28. She left the bathroom, "I'm ready." she called out into Bruce's room, but he wasn't there. Figuring he was downstairs, Clara left his room. Her heels tapped lightly on the marble floor as she walked down the hallway.

Turning the corner to walk down the staircase, she saw Bruce and Alfred with their backs turned at the bottom of the stairs. At the sound of her footsteps, Bruce turned around. Alfred gave a proud smile before patting Bruce on the back and exiting the room.

Bruce looked up to Clara, his pale cheeks flushing red.

Clara's hair was parted down the middle, tucked behind her ears and teased, with curls falling down her shoulders. She wore a black satin dress, tightly fitted. She accessorized with long black gloves and diamond earrings.

Bruce waited for her below, wearing a deep black suit with a matching bow tie, and Louis Vuitton dress shoes. His usually messy hair was laid neatly, reflecting in the hall lights, and he was freshly shaved.