𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟑

SONG: A Sad Cartoon by Loathe

"I didn't know you'd be back so soon, Bruce

"I didn't know you'd be back so soon, Bruce." Alfred said, opening the door to the cave. Bruce looked up as he took his suit off, then looked to Clara.

She was sitting on a stool in the corner, watching Batman in the dim light when the butler came in.

"Oh, hello Ms. Creed." Alfred smiled suddenly, following Bruce's eyes to her. "It's nice to see you again Alfred." Clara smiled in return, nodding her head. "How long will you be staying with us?" Alfred asked, placing a hand in his pocket. Clara and Bruce looked at one another, "Uh..." Clara stammered. "Until further notice." Bruce spoke up, removing his vest. "I see." Alfred's face twisted in surprise, restraining from smiling. "She'll need to get her things tomorrow, but I'll take care of that." Bruce continued, now completely shirtless.

Clara felt her cheeks get hot as the faint light spilled onto his silhouette.

"I think now we just need to get a shower and go to sleep." Bruce spoke, brushing his hair back. "I'll get two baths started." Alfred bowed his head and turned to walk away. "Thank you." Bruce and Clara said in unison.

"I've got to get at Penguin." Bruce suddenly sighed, looking to one of his monitors that was playing footage from the first time one of his men had gone after Clara under the bridge. "Oswald?" Clara asked, getting up. Bruce nodded, "I'm sure you're not the only one he's been hurting." "So where do you start?" Clara asked, standing beside him. "I need to find out who's working for him first." he replied, looking down at her. "Can I help?" she asked.

Bruce sighed, "You need to rest, tonight was... a lot." "Come on, we'll research together. I wanna figure this out too." Clara persuaded him. "Okay," Bruce conceded, "But I still want a shower."

So the two got cleaned up, the night turning into early morning.

Now done, Clara walked into the cave to find Bruce already there. Hunched over at the monitor, he looked up, eyebrows raised. She was wearing one of his black t-shirts along with a pair of his boxers, her hair still damp. She laughed, "You didn't expect me to stay in a dress suit all night did you?" His eyes fell back to the monitor, smiling, "No, uh, you... you look good in black." Now Clara raised her eyebrows, "Huh, you too." she smiled.

So they sat down at the monitor, replaying footage from the club from weeks before, and looking at the Creed Marketing files to make any connections. It felt good for Clara to be able to help Bruce work, and she enjoyed spending time with him. He was happy to see her safe by his side, wearing his clothes.

After about an hour of looking through her brother's files and looking up names, Clara sighed in frustration, "All of these names, they're either deceased or have been incarcerated for a few years. I've got nothing." Bruce looked to her, "Me either."

He turned back to the monitor and shut the computers down, "I'm exhausted." A yawn escaped Clara's mouth, "Me too." "Then let's go." he replied.

Clara had already seen the manor when she went to get a bath, but was just as amazed seeing it the second time. The house had high ceilings and was beautifully decorated with valuables and antiques. She followed Bruce up a grand staircase down a hallway to two large mahogany doors. Bruce opened one to reveal a large room, with deep mahogany furniture and drapes covering every inch of a window. The large bed in the center had been made neatly.

"The house is beautiful." Clara said quietly, observing the room as Bruce pulled the sheets back. "Thanks, it really is." he said, looking to her. Suddenly they heard a loud clap of thunder and raindrops fall against the roof. Clara walked over to the bed yawning, "Does it ever stop raining here?" Bruce smiled, getting in, "Not really."

Clara joined him in the bed and quickly fell asleep with his arm around her in the pitch black room. Although exhausted, Bruce struggled to fall asleep. Instead he focused on Clara's breaths rising and falling quietly. She smelled like his clothes now. Whenever she was near him, safe, he felt happy.

But for some reason tonight Bruce felt a pit in his stomach.