𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑

SONG: Save That Shit by Lil Peep

As more days went by and the Riddler created more and more havoc, Clara wondered where the Batman was and what he was doing. She also feared the Riddler may come for her family- she doubted her brother was clean. Cane always got into trouble.

Needing a break to sort through her thoughts, Clara left work early and decided to take her motorcycle out for a ride. The skies were gray and it was raining on and off, but she didn't care. Besides, it rained most days in Gotham.

She drove past the IceBerg lounge as it was starting to get dark, and saw her brother Cane entering the club. "What the hell?" she said to herself and stopped her motorcycle, turning it around. She parked and prayed no one would steal her bike, and walked up to the door, fuming. The bouncers hesitatingly let her in, and she immediately began searching for her brother.

After struggling to look through the flashing lights and ear splitting music, she made her way up to the bar and found him. Cane was talking to a fat, old man wearing a large chain. She walked right up to the two men, and the old man saw her before her brother did. "Hello doll." he said in a chalky voice. Ignoring him, she looked at Cane, "I need to speak to you, now." "Hey sis, hold on just a minute, we were having a good conversation!" Cane laughed, brushing her off. "No, dammit." Clara grabbed him by the collar and yanked him out of his seat. "What the hell?" Cane asked, angry. "You're high already? You fucking idiot! You're gonna get your ass beat coming in here!" her eyes wandered to pills on the bar beside his drink, and she continued holding his collar. "We was having a business meeting doll, don't sweat it." the old man stood up, huffing on a cigarette. "I wasn't talking to you." Clara replied angrily, not even looking at the fat old man.

Suddenly there came commotion from behind them, and she turned around to see Batman throwing a man over the balcony. "Dammit Cane we're leaving!" Clara grabbed his arm and began pulling him through the crowd. "Do you know what you just fucking ruined for us? Huh?" Cane yelled angrily, trying to resist his sister. Saying nothing, Clara looked at her brother, infuriated, and slapped him in the face. She then continued pulling him to the exit despite his complaints.

Pissed off and wet from the rain, Clara waited outside with her brother before getting him a cab. She needed to find Batman and speak with him. She hoped he wasn't gone already.

So Clara made her way back into the club and began looking for the Batman, which shouldn't be too hard. With no luck for half an hour, she was about to give up and go home. Then she saw Batman walking downstairs from an upper room, and the fat old man was watching him through a window. Her eyes grew wide, and she pushed her way through the drunk crowd to him. She tried yelling, but it was no use since the music was so loud, so she decided to wait for him to walk to where she was. The crowd moved out of the way for him, staring harshly. He kept his eyes forward while making his way through, and his expression changed slightly when his eyes met Clara's.

Saying nothing, he motioned for her to follow him outside.

"How's your heel?" Batman asked her, expressionless with twinkling eyes. Taken aback, she replied, "Oh, it's alright now... thanks." She didn't realize it was raining so hard.

"Look, I need to talk to you." Clara spoke desperately through the rain. Water dripped down his mask as he looked down at her, standing close in front of her. "I know the Riddler is targeting dirty people in Gotham who have some power, and I'm worried about my brother. I found him in the club tonight, and I- I'm just worried. His name is Cane Creed. Do you know anything?" Clara asked.

"Clara Creed." Batman said quietly, gazing down at her. "You know who I am?" she asked, surprised, beginning to shiver from the rain. "Yes... so why the hell were you at the club tonight?" he asked sternly. Clara scoffed, "Look, I was riding by and saw my brother go inside, and I went in to get his dumbass and send him home." she frowned.

Batman replied, "Come with me." Clara followed him down an alley way nearby where his motorcycle was parked. "Oh, I can't leave my bike here." she said awkwardly, and he turned around. "You drove?" he asked, surprised. Clara held back a smile and ran to her bike, starting it up and putting her helmet on.

They raced down the streets of Gotham on their bikes through the pounding rain. Neither spoke, but Clara willingly followed the Batman. They drove for several minutes until they reached the outskirts of town, and he led her to a small bridge that didn't seem to see much traffic.

"It wasn't safe for you there." he said, turning his bike off and parking it. Clara sighed and took her helmet off. Her mascara had smeared under her eyes some. "So, what do you know? Please tell me." she said quietly and desperately.

Batman crossed his arms and leaned back against the wall of the bridge while she still sat on her bike.

"As far as I know, the Riddler isn't targeting your brother... yet. I think he's focused on larger targets, but it would be wise for him to lay low and stay out of trouble." he said slowly, his deep voice echoed.

"I feel stupid cause I don't know what he's been up to since I moved halfway across the country. I don't want our company to be corrupt. That's so fucked." Clara sighed, feeling worried. "I'd suggest you start making changes if you can. You don't want your name tied to any of his mistakes. I can't promise he won't be targeted, but I promise to let you know if anything happens, and I can promise to keep you safe." he said, the whites of his eyes barely visible in the dark. "Thank you, you don't know how much that means to me. I just worry that he will start going after people who aren't in government positions. Like, like Bruce Wayne for example. That's awful, I hope that never happens." she thought out loud, playing with her jacket. Batman exhaled, trying desperately not to smile. "I don't know either, but I'm trying to figure it out." he replied.

"I want to help you." Clara spoke a little louder now. "No." Batman said sternly. "I'm being serious, I can get in places that Batman can't. I have a few connections." she argued. "I don't care, it's not safe." he said in a stern voice again. "Look," she sighed, "if I can help Gotham, I want to. I don't care what happens to me as long as my family is safe."

After several seconds of silence, he reached into a pocket and pulled out a small case. He handed it to her, "You can communicate to me that way, and I can watch you." She opened up the case and saw a contact lense. "Put it in." he replied, and she took it from the case and inserted it into her eye. "Are you sure you can't tell this is a camera?" she asked, blinking uncomfortably. "Step into the light where I can see you." Batman replied in a low voice.

Clara obeyed and walked to the end of the bridge where there was a dim streetlight. "Look up at me." he said deeply, gently grabbing her chin, looking into her eyes. Clara was sure her heart was going to beat out of her chest at this. "How do I look?" she asked, studying him. His jaw looked familiar. "Perfect- it's perfect." he spoke with the slightest tremor in his voice, still grabbing her chin. He was admiring her features. "Put it in whenever you need it, and I'll contact you." he said, letting go suddenly.

Clara removed the contact and put it back in the case. "Thank you." she said, trying not to shake as she closed the case.

"Would you like me to see you home?" he asked looking back as he walked back to his bike. "I'll be alright." she assured him. Batman began to speak, but stopped himself. Clara started up her motorcycle and put her helmet on, and they took off once more. They drove side by side until it was time for them to part ways, and Batman nodded goodbye to her.