𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒

SONG: From Can to Cant by Sound City

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT AHEAD

The next day, the Riddler targeted Bruce Wayne. However, the bomb he sent to Wayne Manor set off on the butler Alfred instead of Bruce. Once she saw the news, Clara put in her contact and tried to call the Batman. He didn't answer for several hours, which worried her.

Sitting in her room, she suddenly heard feedback and Batman say, "Clara?" "Hey, hey, I'm here." she quickly replied, more anxious than ever. "Are you okay?" he asked quietly, leaning over his monitor watching what she saw. "Yes, I was worried about Bruce Wayne. I saw what happened on the news and was sure you knew what happened." Clara got up and walked to her mirror so that Batman could see her. "He's fine, but the bomb went off on his butler instead." Batman replied, surprised at her curiosity for Bruce Wayne. "Do you know if he's alive?" Clara looked at herself in the mirror, asking sadly. "Yes, he was taken to the hospital and I think he's doing well." Batman replied plainly.

After a moment of silence, Clara looked down and cupped her hand to her forehead. "I just have a bad feeling. Something's not right, I don't feel safe.... Something is going to happen tonight." she sighed. The Batman leaned forward in his chair, "Is your brother home?" he asked in a whisper. "Yes, but I haven't seen him since dinner." she replied, heart racing. Batman exhaled, "I'm tracking your location. I'll be there soon. Keep the contact in and check on him."

Dropping the connection, he brushed his hair back, putting his mask on.

While waiting for Batman, Clara gathered her courage and left her room. She walked as quietly down the hallway as she could to her brother's room, and listened outside the door. She didn't hear any noise, so she decided to open the door quietly. The door gave a small creak, and she thought, 'shit' and grimaced. The light by his table was on. "Cane?" she whispered as she continued opening the door.

"No!" she gasped at the sight before her.

Cane lay on the bed with duct tape covering his face and his skull bashed into his pillow. The smell of blood was almost as nauseating as the sight of her dead brother. In total shock, Clara fell to her knees and stared in horror. It's like she couldn't peel her eyes off of his body. Taped to his headboard was a note which read, "to the Batman." Trembling, she yelled, "Batman! Please!" as tears filled her eyes. She couldn't tear herself away from the sight.

Alone.

This word replayed again and again in her head, and she thought back to how life was when she was a child, across country. So, so terribly alone.

She didn't know how long she sat there, staring at Cane's lifeless body. She didn't hear any noise. How could this have happened? How long had he been like this?

Eventually Batman came, and she didn't even notice him walk in until he picked her up to stand on her feet. "You shouldn't have seen this. I'm sorry." he placed a caring hand on her shoulder before walking to tear the note off of the headboard.

Soon enough, Gotham City police came, and the Creed House was a crime scene investigation. Officers sat Clara down in her room and began to question her- what had she seen, what had she heard? But the truth was nothing. She knew nothing. She tried to pretend she hadn't seen officers carrying a body bag on a stretcher down the hallway as a detective asked her the last time she had seen her brother. She wanted everyone to leave her alone.

The questioning ended at around 11pm, and Clara sat back in her bed, staring at the wall. This felt like a dream.

A soft knock came on the door and Commissioner Gordon entered the room. "We're done with the investigation tonight, and we'll have folks come by for cleanup in the morning. I'm so sorry Ms. Creed." he took his glasses off to clean them. Clara looked up, wiping her eyes, "Thank you Mr. Gordon." "I'd like to speak with her." came Batman's voice from a shadow behind Gordon, and Gordon nodded, letting him enter the room. Batman walked towards the bed and turned to look back at the Commissioner. "I'll, uh, leave you to it then. Goodnight Ms. Creed." he said, bowing his head and stepping out of the room.

Clara looked up at batman, "What did the letter say?" "Friends don't keep secrets." he whispered, clenching his fists by his side. Clara sighed, looking down, "What could that even mean?" "I'm not sure... What will you do tonight?" Batman asked her. "I don't know- I doubt I'll be able to sleep, and I've got to go in to work tomorrow, and I-" He cut her off, "You don't have any other relatives nearby?" Clara shook her head, beginning to cry. Batman looked around the room, "I will stay tonight." "You can't, you have more important things to do." Clara laughed half-heartedly. "I will stay." he replied flatly, and took a seat in a chair beside the dresser.

"Okay, well I've got to get a shower. Can I get you anything? Some coffee?" she asked as she stood up. "No, thank you." he shook his head, looking at her curiously. Clara grabbed a set of satin pajamas, "Make yourself comfortable." she said genuinely, entering the bathroom.

As Clara showered, Batman observed her room, and almost laughed at himself for how he was sitting in Clara Creed's room. But it wasn't safe for her here alone.

Her room was neat. The bed was a cream quilt with lace on the ends. He admired something about the delicacy.

Once finished, Clara exited the bathroom with wet hair and tired eyes, pulling the curtains shut and closing her bedroom door. She got into bed and laid on her side, facing the Batman. "Don't you ever sleep?" she asked through a yawn. "Not at night. You get used to it." he said deeply, tilting his head slightly to look at her. She blinked, "Will you be gone in the morning?" "If you want me to be." he replied. "It's up to you, but maybe you should go look after Bruce Wayne. At least I haven't been blown up yet." she gave another yawn, rolling onto her back. "Do you like him or something?" Batman asked jokingly.

"I mean, I've only spoken to him once, but he seems to be about the only person with their head on straight in this city. I admire him for doing whatever the hell he wants and not being so worried what people will say. Kinda like you I guess." she spoke up to the ceiling. "Sure." he said quietly, his heart beating faster. "My brother always talked about the Wayne's. He admired them... that's why when he met Bruce at the funeral he was so excited." she said through a sigh, trying not to tear up.

"Are you sure you don't need anything? A pillow maybe?" Clara said suddenly, laughing tiredly, turning to look at him now. He said nothing. "Here, damnit." she grabbed a pillow next to her and chunked it at him. He caught it with ease, and tried not to laugh. "Thanks." he coughed, placing it in his lap.

Clara rolled over, "Goodnight Batman." as a tear fell down her cheek.

"Goodnight Clara." He could hear the pain in her voice.