Prologue

Shiverpaw bounded up the path to the Moonpool, knowing this would be his last time going up this path as an apprentice. "Are you excited?" Amberlily asked a light purr in her voice. "Of course!" Shiverpaw purred, though secretly he was a little worried. What if I have a seizure during the ceremony? Will Starclan really accept me? he soon distracted himself by greeting Rabbitfoot. "How are you?" asked Rabbitfoot excitedly, her whiskers twitching. "Better now I'm with you." Whispered Shiverpaw in her ear, love warming his voice. 

"Everyone is here. I have a ceremony to carry out." yowled Amberlily "My apprentice, Shiverpaw, has completed his medicine-cat training." She turned to him "I, Amberlily, medicine cat of Riverclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of a medicine cat, and with your help he will serve his Clan for many moons. Shiverpaw, do you promise to uphold the ways of a medicine cat, to stand apart from rivalry between Clan and Clan and to protect all cats equally, even at the cost of your life?"

  This is it. Right now. "I do" Shiverpaw mewed. "Then by the powers of Starclan I give you your true name as a medicine cat. Shiverpaw, from this moment you will be known as Shiversong. StarClan honors your kindness and skill, and we welcome you as a full medicine cat of Riverclan." Amberlily said and rested her muzzle on Shiversong's head. Shiversong licked her shoulder. 

I did it! I'm a full medicine cat! Suddenly his vision went dark. No! I can't have one now! It was his last thought. Spasms shook his body, plunging Him into the moonpool. "NO!" Cried Rabbitfoot and Amberlily, Jumping into the moonpool at the same time. But he was too far down, out of their grasp. His Drowned body floated up to the surface. A yowl of anguish came from Rabbitfoot. Suddenly A voice rang out in all of the medicine cat's heads "A darkness is coming to the clans. you must not let it shake you."