Chapter 12

Ashley turned and stretched with her eyes still closed. She reached her arms out as far as possible as she heard her joints crack, giving her a sense of relief. She yawned, blinking a few times as her eyes landed on the TV that was broadcasting the morning news.

Ashley was feeling amazing. Yesterday, she had gotten fresh braids put into her hair and treated herself to getting a mani-pedi. Then when she got home, Rayvon took her out to a romantic dinner. The night ended with Rayvon giving her a body massage and the two pillow-talking until they fell asleep.

The night went so well, it had Ashley feeling closer to Rayvon. She was reminded of why she fell for him in the first place. All the doubts and second guessing took a backseat as Ashley reimagined her future with Rayvon.

            "Good morning beautiful," Rayvon greeted, rubbing her leg from on top of the covers.

Ashley's cheeks heated up. "Good morning baby." She exhaled a content breath before climbing out of bed and heading to the bathroom.

Ashley released her bladder then washed her hands. She grabbed her toothbrush then proceeded to brush her teeth and wash her face. When she was done, she headed back to their room and got back into bed with her man.

            "So baby, what's—" Ashley was rudely interrupted.

Rayvon held up one finger and shushed her. His eyes remained glued to the TV as she stared at him in utter disbelief. She cocked her head back some before attempting to talk again.

            "Rayvon," Ashley called.

            "Ashley, wait. I'm trying to hear this," Rayvon replied, sounding a bit irritated.

Ashley mouthed a silent, 'Wow,' before aimlessly staring at the TV. She was heated. She found it very disrespectful for him to shush her. Her jaw clenched repeatedly. Just when she thought things were going perfectly between the two, he reminded her of why it wasn't. Rayvon had a lot of great qualities but the question was, did they outweigh the bad?

A few minutes passed before Rayvon turned off the TV and turned to Ashley. She continued to stare at the blank TV, tight lipped. Rayvon's eyes roamed over Ashley's face. He knew he had to approach her correctly or else it'd make her attitude worse.

There was a lot about Ashley that Rayvon was trying to come to terms with. He loved Ashley without a doubt, but there were some things about her that she had to work on before they got married. He knew when they first met that she was "tomboyish" but they were both five years older now. That had to change.

Time and time again Rayvon had tried to mold her to be more ladylike but Ashley would also revert back to her tomboy nature. In his opinion, she acted tough when she didn't need to. He was offering her everything a woman wanted—stability, finance, protection, loyalty, faithfulness, and his undivided attention. All he wanted in return was a woman that was submissive and acted like a lady.

Rayvon didn't feel as though he was asking for too much. He wanted her to cook, clean, and cater to him, just like his mother did his father. That was the norm for him. Rayvon attributed Ashley's outspoken, overly independent attitude to her being raised by her single aunt. It irked him but he loved her and wanted to make her his wife so... he was willing to be patient with her.

Rayvon took Ashley's hand in his. "Baby," Rayvon spoke softly.

Ashley looked over at him with an arched brow. "Rayvon." Her tone was flat.

Rayvon sighed. "What's the problem?" Rayvon asked exhaling a breath.

            "Seriously?" Ashley scoffed.