Chapter 1

Joana's eyes began to burn due to her not blinking for so long. She stared at the man she both loved and loathed. His very presence irritated her soul yet warmed her heart. She hadn't seen him in a long six months, which was too soon if anyone asked her. But here he was, standing before her like everything between them was all good.

Joana blinked slowly, tilting her head and raising her brow. "Graham," she spoke between breaths. "Why. Are. You. Here?"

Booger cocked his head back. "Whatchu' mean why? My kids here ain't they? And as long as my kids in this house I have a right to see 'em," he responded coolly.

Joana chuckled a bit. "You haven't seen them in almost half a year. Why now?" Joana questioned.

"You gon' let me in or nah?" Booger asked, his eyes boring into hers.

Joana stood by the door, silently debating with herself. Did she want to let this negative energy back in her life? Did she want to allow Booger's inconsistent ass interact with her babies only for him to disappear again? They didn't need him. They had a father figure already. But... Booger was still their biological father. It would be wrong if she kept their kids away from him... right?

Joana ultimately gave in, sucking her teeth as she did. She stepped to the side and motioned with her hand for him to come inside. Booger swaggered his way in the house, his eyes roaming around the nice place. It was nicely decorated with warm earth tones and the walls were adorned with African art.

Joana shut the door behind them and switched her way to the living room. Booger followed behind her licking his lips. Joana was looking thicker than a snicker, her skin was glowing, and she was smelling very edible at the moment.

Booger watched as Joana flopped down on the couch. She folded her arms while glaring over at Booger with a straight face. Booger took a seat next to her then rubbed his hands together, leaning his elbows on his knees while eyeing her.

"It's been a minute," Booger started off.

Joana nodded, making a sarcastic face. "You don't say?" She rolled her eyes.

Booger snickered lightly. "My fault. I ain't mean to go ghost like that but... I had a lot of shit going on. I didn't wanna bring my babies around that," Booger explained.

Joana shook her head, looking away. "There's always an excuse with you," she mumbled under her breath.

Booger sat up straight. "It ain't like y'all were missing my presence. You over here playing house with that lame." His eyes were glued to her. He was studying her every move.

Joana's eyes shifted and her lips twitched a bit. Her shoulders tensed up a bit as her heart raced in her chest. She hated to admit it but there were times that she missed him. It made Joana feel terrible when she found herself longing for Booger when she had a great man beside her every night.

Joana no longer had to question if she was the only one because she knew she was. Remington did everything he could to make her feel loved and secure. Remington treated Joana like a queen. He was sweet, caring, loving, and giving. He was everything she needed but... he wasn't everything she wanted.

Booger fought back the urge to smirk as he picked up on her body language. He needed Joana back in his back pocket. He needed Joana. He missed her spoiling him, giving him money, and simply being his yes woman. He had never experienced love like the love Joana had given him.

Booger put on his puppy dog face. "Jo," he said speaking softly.

Joana looked over at him. "Graham?" Joana returned.