Chapter 18

Booger walked through the Museum of Natural History with his oldest son Sheldon. He was a chaperone for his son's field trip since Shelesha couldn't make it. She had a job interview today so Booger agreed to watch the boys after school and of course attend his son's field trip.

Sheldon was so happy to have Booger there with him. Sheldon knew Booger wasn't his biological father but he loved him as if he were. They had grown closer over the past few months too because Booger had been around a lot more. He saw Booger almost every week and every other weekend.

Booger had his hand on Sheldon's shoulder as Sheldon's teacher explained the significance of the cavemen artifacts. Both Booger and his son were actually paying attention to every word the lady was saying. In the middle of her talking, Booger tapped his son causing his son to look up at him.

            "You know this is bullshit right? We didn't come from no damn cave. That was them white people," Booger whispered causing Sheldon to start laughing. Booger smiled down at his son then they resumed listening to his teacher.

They trailed through exhibit after exhibit before it was time for them to head back to New Jersey. By the time they got back to Jersey, school was dismissed. Instead of going back to the school, Booger and Sheldon went straight to pick up Noah from school.

            "Did my mom leave us money?" Sheldon asked, looking up at Booger.

Booger raised a brow. "Why?" Booger wondered.

            "I wanna get me and No a pizza," Sheldon said.

            "Why didn't you just ask?" Booger questioned, chuckling a bit.

Sheldon shrugged his shoulder. "Derek usually make us buy our own food."

Booger's eyebrows pulled together before he shook his head. "Y'all be around him a lot?" Booger pried.

Sheldon shook his head no. "He doesn't come around like that no more. My mom said he only comes around when him and his girl beefin'." Sheldon then looked away.

            "What yo' mom say about me?" Booger dug for answers as they headed toward Noah's school.

Sheldon shrugged his shoulders. He knew his mother said a whole lot about Booger but since they'd been on good terms, he didn't want to bring any of those things back up. He feared if he told Booger, he'd stop coming around again.

Booger chuckled. "Oh it's like that? It's that bad, huh?" Booger pressed.

Sheldon looked up at Booger. "Ask my mom yourself if you really wanna know." That was the best Sheldon had to offer.

Booger playfully mushed Sheldon. "Heard you, kid." He couldn't help but laugh and respect Sheldon's words.

They went inside and picked up Noah. Noah was so hype to see Booger, he ran to his father hugging his legs tightly. Booger chuckled, his heart bursting with a sudden joy. He picked up Noah and hugged him again.

            "What up lil' gangsta?" Booger greeted his son.

Noah smiled, showcasing his missing top tooth. "Chillin'. Today was wild boring at school. My teacher dead took my coloring book." Noah rolled his eyes.

Booger put his son down. "Nobody told your ass to be coloring while she was tryna teach," Booger defended the teacher.

Noah shrugged his shoulder. "I really don't care. I got mad coloring books at home. That wasn't even my favorite one," Noah shot back.

Sheldon shook his head. "Mommy gonna knock you in the head if she get another phone call from Ms. Wilder," Sheldon reminded.

            "Mommy always say she gon' hit me but she don't do it," Noah said confidently.