3: Goblins

"He~? So you reincarnated too? And to a pretty elf, nonetheless? I'm so so jealous!" Rimuru jumps as he says to me.

"Really? Lucky? I don't know, considering how I turned from a boy to a girl and lost my jewels..." I replied in disappointment. "Speaking of which, who were you in your former life?"

"My former name is Satoru Mikami. From Japan. I was just a general contractor in a business, really. Just average Joe working and stuff. How about you?"

"Your life is a lot more normal than mine. I envy that. I...umm..." I broke down a little as I remembered the tragedy.

"I umm...used to be a hitman."

"Wait, really?!" Rimuru was surprised by my answer.

"It's hard to believe, but after training in martial arts since I was a kid, and being forced to cram school and harsh work, it's the only thing I could do. Oh, and my former name is Fujikage Hanataka."

"Man, that sounds rough. I never heard or thought anyone would go through that career. Wait, how old were you by the way?"

"27."

"EHHHH?! 27?! That's so young! I'm 37 myself, but, wow...I'm really sorry you had to go through that."

"It's ok. Thank you, or wait. Thank you, senpai."

Rimuru nodded, as he tried to console me, when all of a sudden, the Administrator alerted me.

<Warning. Encounter with a herd of monsters.>

"Hey, Astrid. Can you sense it?"

"Yeah. About 10 or 20 of them? Are they coming for us?"

"I don't know. Stay vigilant."

Rimuru and I later encountered a couple of green goblins ahead of us. They seemed to play bravado, standing while holding brittle weapons, wearing all worn-out clothes. Their expressions were that of scared and intimidated by a monster, yet they stood their ground to fend off whatever is scaring them. One of the goblins, wearing a red bandana on his head, stepped in front of the goblin crowd, with a sword and shield in his hand. Seeming as how they saw us as a threat, I've released a huge amount of aura upon them, causing them to fall to the ground in fear.

"Oh, p-p-p-powerful beings. D-d-d-did you have any business toward this place?" The goblin wearing the bandana uttered.

"Hey, goblins, right? Is your village up ahead?" Rimuru spoke up. The goblin nodded to the question. "Why are you guys afraid anyway?"

"You didn't notice?" I jumped in. "You've been releasing a huge amount of aura, like I just did. Haven't you noticed why the path we've been taking has been free of any animals?"

Rimuru stood silent for a moment, thinking about what I said. Then when he understood what I meant, he suddenly became embarrassed and concealed his aura, as I concealed mine as well.

"Oh, my bad, my bad. How did you know that, by the way?"

"Let's just say surviving in the wilderness and the voice in my head helped me."

"Oh~ so you got a Great Sage too?"

"Umm, I don't know who this 'Great Sage' is, but mine's called Administrator."

"Well, running into the goblin village like this, lucky for us, huh?"

"I guess. I mean, it's not like we knew where we were headed. Either way, I think it's important we don't create any misunderstandings." I said as Rimuru agreed.