5: An Idealist and A Realist

A reminder. Fujikage Hanataka. That's who I was. Every single day, I was given a job by the government to assassinate someone. It was a need-to-know basis, so I never knew who I was killing personally. Each moment I killed one, I killed my own feelings, having no need for emotions. It would only slow me down. I was always in the position of a predator.

I however never expected my roles to be reversed in this world. This time, I was the prey, with all the predators hunting me. But I have been trapped before. I am going to do whatever I can to survive. Even if it means on my own. However, ever since the slime and the dragon Veldora became involved, the situation felt complicated. Saving the goblins. Turning wolves to allies. Naming them. I still wasn't sure if I wanted to do all this.

An idealist like Rimuru helps people, even if the survival of the fittest ideal applies to this world, he's willing to help even the weakest. I didn't want his sympathy and I certainly don't want charity. That kind of thinking would only backfire...I know from experience...

The only bright side from here is that the people here in this village were all excited to see that we were both in fine condition after we named all of them, and afterward, they were excited to hear what we have to say. Rimuru then spoke first.

"Is everyone here? All right, then. We'll get straight to three very important rules that I want all of you to follow.

One. Do not attack HUMANS.

Two. Do not fight each other.

And finally Three. Do not look down on other races.

That is all."

After hearing those rules, I used <Thought Communication> to speak to Rimuru telepathically.

"The rules seem ok. Do you expect them to follow it, though? It doesn't seem like a solid rule, especially the first two..."

"We can't have them thinking it would be ok to pick fights. I mean, I'd like to know how they think about the rules. They're still struggling, and if they can't think or fight for themselves, then we can't leave them." He replied seriously.

"Umm, excuse me, Lord Rimuru. If it's alright to ask, why can't we attack humans?" Rigur, the goblin wearing a red bandana, who got taller and stronger, asked, which caught Rigurd and other goblins' attention. Rimuru then gave a rather surprising answer.

"It's simple. We like humans."

Wow, no sugar coating and no substance at all. Wonder if that is a good enough reason at all.

"Understood!" Rigur smiled at the reason and accepted it easily. You're kidding. I then spoke to Rimuru telepathically again, to not raise any confusion among the goblins.

"Rimuru. This, I cannot abide. This might create all kinds of problems within diplomacy. I'm gonna need to make an exception to this rule."

"I suppose it's only fair. I mean, I did decide on this without consulting with you. Go ahead." Rimuru obliged as I stepped up.

"BUT. There will be an exception within the first rule, about not attacking humans. In the event neither myself nor Rimuru is around to resolve any dispute or issues, you are allowed to defend yourselves, but ONLY if needed."

I put an emphasis on the 'only' part.

"It's the same as the humans would do," Rimuru added to clarify the exception. "They live in groups like us, and when one of them is attacked, more would return in force, and that will make surviving difficult for everyone. So, it would be better for us to get all along. Any questions?"