4: Bestowing them Blessings

"Who are you? J-just take whatever you want."

"Listen. Whoever you are, you don't have to do this."

"Nothing personal. Just business. The higher-ups, they told me you had it coming."

*BANG* *BANG*

"AAHH!" I screamed as I woke up from a nightmare.

*pant* *pant* ughhh...not again....dear......

I couldn't help but cry quietly, sobbing a little, haunted by the memory of the past. Every time I dream of tragedy, I end up heartbroken.

"If only I could save you......"

Rimuru then came toward me. Sensing him, I immediately wiped off my tears.

"Hey, Astri-. Are you ok?"

"Huh? Oh......yeah."

"Were you crying?"

"What? N-no. No, I'm just a little weary-eyed."

RIMURU POV

Before coming to wake her up, I heard something and peeked while hiding behind a rock, and saw her sobbing into tears. I wonder what happened to her before she was reincarnated here. Or maybe I might've been too harsh during the fight yesterday...

ASTRID POV

I wiped tears off my face and went with Rimuru. Following up on yesterday, since only the leader of the pack wolves, we have 99 of them left to look after, and we were worried if the direwolves and goblins, who were once enemies to each other, can get along.

"Hey, Astrid. Umm..." He paused for a moment, probably thinking about our fight last night.

"Do you mind if I take the lead on this one?"

"Y-yeah, sure, Rimuru," I replied weakly while trying to not look at him. All of a sudden, my stomach growled. I felt so embarrassed that I tried to turn away.

"Here, Astrid." Rimuru brought a piece of spare meat that was stored in his body.

"Oh, no thanks. I'm ok..."

"Aren't you hungry? You need to eat. Better safe than sorry, ok? You need this more than I do. I don't feel hungry, so don't worry about it."

"Umm...o-ok, thanks..." I took the piece of meat, and stared at it for a moment, then gobbled it up quicker than I imagined.

As Rimuru and I have gathered everyone together, we've decided to have the goblins who were fitter for fighting team up with the direwolves at the center of the village. Meanwhile, the females, children, and the elderly were peeking from their homes, fascinated by Rimuru and me. They probably never saw anyone else since living in the village. Rimuru and I were standing at the front, along with the elder and his son.

"Hey, everyone! So listen. From this day forward, you'll be paired and will be working together."

Awkward silence and confusion followed upon the wolves and goblins. I was expecting Rimuru to say more, but then he suddenly looked at me, hoping to avoid the awkward situation. As far as I can see, the group neither cheered nor complained about Rimuru's idea. I couldn't bring it to myself to help him, considering how I was very against his idea during the argument. I'll continue to let him handle it.

"By pair, I mean one goblin will be paired up with one direwolf. Make sure you guys are getting along, alright?" Rimuru then added, and within seconds the goblins and direwolves immediately did as they were told. I was surprised, to see how a slime would have such good leadership skills.