Prologue

The Fates stare at the loom in horror.

They have seen many things in their given duties: the most beautiful of births, the triumphs of life, and the cruelest of deaths.

But nothing of what they have seen could ever compare to the timeline sitting before them.

The black string weaved within their hands was thicker than others, and despite it being created from feather-like material, each one can agree that its weight is like no other. It resembled the weight of the universe. Of endless lifelines and creation. Indescribable destruction and chaos.

A heavy silence fills the room as the three sisters read along the destiny that they weaved.

"We cannot let this happen." Atropos, the one with a pair of shears in her hands, refuses to cut the string. The utter idea of setting such a destiny in place disgusted her. Her sisters recoil at her statement; they have never seen her in such a shaken, defiant state.

"Sister!" Lachesis exclaims. "We cannot simply—"

"Then let this providence sit until we decipher how to change it." She closes her shears and tucks them into her belt. The act of opposition once again silenced both of them. Her and Lachesis stare into each other's eyes—both disagreeing with the other's stance.

"This may be a small tip of the scales that we must create." Clotho breaks through the tension. "I myself cannot imagine such a destiny occurring either. Perhaps we can..." She trails off with her words, as if not wanting to say it aloud. All three knew what the bearer of life spoke of. It did not excite them to say the least.

"It is the only way sisters." Atropos says, her voice barely above a whisper. "Otherwise we will be facing a future far worse than death." Both sisters reluctantly nod. This is a future even the Fates could not control. It would take a fourth interference in order for the situation to right itself eventually. But being the Fates, they are bound by ancient law and cannot directly interfere in the timeline, so they have to do as little as possible for the biggest results.

After fervently discussing their decision and searching for the best outcome, they finally flash into a room filled with papers, file cabinets, and a desk in the center of it all.

A man with hair as dark as the night itself sits behind the desk across from the moirai. His bright eyes darken at the trios' sudden appearance. Tension fills the room, as they acknowledge each other.

The Fates never speak with this one, nor do they enjoy doing so. Avoidance has always been the better option instead of interacting with him, which makes their arrival even more peculiar.

Something must have gone terribly wrong for them to show up in him office like this.

"We have come with a warning." Lachesis says. The man examines the three, reluctance clear in his expression. Nonetheless he leans forward after a few seconds, eyes intent.

"What may that warning be?" He asks.

Atropos steps forward, her eyes shining a light of anticipation and determination. All it took was one sentence, but that was enough to change the course of time.

"Watch the one that escapes eternal death."

•••••