Percy vs. Standardized Testing

Screams of surprise and terror can be heard throughout the entire mall, and Percy watches as everyone starts rushing towards the exits like moths to a flame. The lower visibility with the continuous sound of the fire alarm only adds to the hysteria, but it makes everyone leave the vicinity far faster than he anticipated.

Adrenaline fills his veins as the ground begins rumbling again.

TEST COMPLETE. SIST-PS SUCCESSFUL.

Percy frowns in confusion. That was it? He only evacuated the mall through the fire alarm. How did he complete the test so quickly? He doesn't have much time to question it anymore though.

SIST-C will begin in T minus 5 seconds.

In a blink, Percy is in a large hallway. A man with dark, long hair tied back into a bun stares at him. Percy immediately notices the knife concealed by his sleeve as he begins walking in his direction.

"We're all gonna die." He whispers, starting to tremble in what looks like fury.

Percy starts backing away with every step. "Why do you think that?" His voice is casual, but his heart beats loud in his chest. The man's eyes scream mania and bloodlust.

"Why wait for the inevitable?" He says, as if never hearing his question. "Why wait for death? We're all gonna die." The man's body jolts, and Percy instinctively reaches his hand into his pocket. He curses once he remembers that Riptide hasn't been found since he was rescued from the Void. The man lets out a wheeze of maniacal laughter. Percy carefully eyes him as the grip on the kitchen knife continues to tighten.

Then he lunges.

Percy ducks out of the way, just barely avoiding the blade. He keeps his attention solely on the perpetrator at this point. The man's expression is now one of pure fury and hate.

This man wanted Percy dead. And even with this realization, he can't help but think: Get in line.

He snorts at his own thoughts, but is snapped out of it by dodging a flurry of malicious slices from the knife-wielding man. He hisses when the very tip of the blade grazes his forearm.

Deciding this crazy man has had enough, Percy kicks his legs out from underneath him. He yelps and falls flat onto his back, clearly knocking the wind out of him. The knife goes skittering across the white tile floors. Percy picks it up and throws it farther down the hall. The man tries to stand, but Percy makes his way over to pin him in a side-control hold, effectively keeping him down.

TEST COMPLETE. SIST-C SUCCESSFUL.

Percy frowns. Why was this all easy?

SIST-FR will begin in T minus 5 seconds.

"Sir?!"

He's standing on the side of a lone road, a few meters in front of a battered, overturned car. Smoke billows from the engine, and a young girl runs up to him. Her hair is a rat's nest, and her eyes have fear and panic within them. She couldn't have been older than twelve.

"Please, sir, my mom is in the car and—"

"What?" Percy is already moving. "There's someone in there?"

"Yes!"

Without a second thought, Percy sprints towards the wreckage. The car looked as if it had flipped several times before settling upside down, making him even more concerned for the occupant inside. He crouches by the window the girl directs him to, and he feels sick seeing the mother hanging from her seat belt, completely unconscious.