Tension and Relief

The field was quiet enough to hear a heartbeat.

Stunned officers and commanders stand stock-still at the announcement.

They both lower their swords in unison. Elara's blade disappears into thin air a second after.

Before he could open his mouth to say anything, he felt the tip of a blade press into the small of his back, right where his achilles heel used to be. Percy immediately turns to protect himself and take out the threat—

Only for Elara to beat him to it. He didn't even realize she had moved until he now stares at the golden-eyed general standing over what looked to be a higher-ranking officer—a dagger scattered a few feet away. The tip of her sword is aimed directly at his face, hovering over his eye as a warning.

Her expression remains blank. "What in Void's name do you think you're doing, Lieutenant?" Percy almost flinches at her tone. Her voice is colder than anything he's heard before.

The Lieutenant stammers, form trembling under the intimidating aura of the General. "He—I-I...well..."

"If I witness one more self-righteous violation of protocols today, I'm putting everyone in this field on a two-month disciplinary probation period and stripping you of your rank." She snaps. "Am I clear?"

"Yes, General Asterson."

"That's not how you are assigned to address me, Lieutenant."

He looked sick at this point. "Y-yes General Elara."

"Hm." She turns her attention to the others. "Testing is dismissed. Perseus, come with me."

•••

The silence is tense as they walk through the corridors of the palace.

She walks like royalty. Her back is straight, head held high, and each stride exudes a confidence and power similar to Chaos. Everything about her seemed similar yet the opposite of Percy. Just by standing by her, Percy can feel that her very presence surpasses the twelve Olympians combined. It unnerved Percy of how this person that looks to be his age, if not younger, holds herself in this way.

He begins to notice that their surroundings look unfamiliar. They were still in the palace, but he can tell Saros' never showed him this section.

"Where are we going?" He asks.

She continues to walk. "I was sent to bring you to Chaos, and that is what I am doing."

"The throne room then?"

"His office."

He hums. Chaos doesn't seem like the type of entity to just sit on a throne during his free time anyways. He continues to follow her. "Do you have any idea why he wants to see me?"

"If I did, I wouldn't disclose that information to you anyways."

Percy huffs at the sharp response. "What did I do to get you upset?" He mutters under his breath.

"Oh, you know." She doesn't miss a step. "Exist."

He frowns at that. "So you're too good to be around commoners now, Your Highness?" He doesn't know why he said it, but to be honest he's said much worse to powerful beings, so he's not as concerned as someone should be.

Her glowing eyes flicker in his direction. "That's General to you. I'm a busy woman with too many engagements on hand as it is, and at the moment I'm being thrust into the task of watching after you: an overachieving half-mortal that seems to defy basic laws of nature." She drawls. "It'd be a shame if my patience runs out before we resolve your predicament." He tenses at that immediately. Percy may not be fantastic at reading social cues, but he has enough experience in the world of gods and primordials to understand what a threat is.