xix. water lilies ( ᴢᴇᴜs )

You felt cold hands cover your eyes. You didn’t know what shocked you—the sudden blackness of your vision, or the freezing coldness that the pair of hands felt against your skin, sparking a warm feeling throughout your system despite its coldness.

“Guess,” the voice whispered, although you already know who it was.

“Helios?” you jest.

Zeus tore his hands away from you. “What? No! Why would you think I’m him?!” he exclaimed, seemingly offended.

You laughed. “I don’t know,” you played innocent, teasing him.

“Were you expecting him?”

“Perhaps.” You are not.

The look on his face is equivalent to one who is struck by lightning. But, with all the power you know he store inside, it is not impossible that he might be struck with one of his own. That idea made you laugh.

“Y/N? What is so funny?” Zeus seems so lost, trying to find the reason for your laughs. The look on his face makes it impossible to stop, and he gets more and more confused.

You felt a gentle zap on your fingertips.

“Hey!” you cried.

“Tell me what’s the joke.”

“Do you really have to zap me?”

“You won’t stop.”

You chuckled. “It’s just the look on your face is funny. You think I’m waiting for Helios.”

“Yeah why would you wait for him, he’s a douche!”

“He’s your family,” you said, “plus I’m not waiting for him, I just wanted to see what you would say.”

“I don’t want you to like him! He’s a god!” Zeus argued.

“So are you,” you replied in a matter-of-factly.

“That’s different he’s like god god. I’m just—you know I’m raised by a nymph. If I could have it my way I’d be just a nymph too.”

You narrowed your eyes. “Are you trying to flatter me?”

“I’m speaking of truth! I want to be like a nymph like you. You are good, and kind, and lovely. . .”

“Well, would you think your mother would allow you to overthrow your father, free your siblings, then just spend the rest of your life hanging out with nymphs?”

“She plotted this coup to free my sibling. . .”

“You are gullible,” you mumbled, shaking your head.

“What do you mean?”

“You can’t see the bigger picture? Your mother wants you to kill your father so you could take his place. So you could be king.”

Zeus looks at you in disbelief, suddenly filled with realization. “But I don’t wanna be king!”

“You should learn to want it then,” you said.

Silence filled the air as the both of you look away, sitting at the edge of the lake, your feet touching the water, water lilies surrounding your ankles. In the distance you can see faint shadows of nymphs playing in the water, and you can almost hear their laughter as giggles as they splash around. The gods are not your business, but you can’t help but to worry about Zeus. Kronos is awful and cruel, and you know that he wouldn’t care about nymphs if things went down. But Zeus does, as he’s your friend, and your kind took care of him when he was little and protected him by doing so.