x | rivalry ﹙ᴀᴛʜᴇɴᴀ﹚

(a lot of ppl asked for athena so here it is! trigger warning, kinda? there are mentions of abuse so i think i should point that out. i’m really anxious to post this because it’s athena and i’m scared i might do her wrong. hope u like it tho.)

You sat on the sidewalk, your hood up and your bags scattered on your feet. Your mind is surprisingly empty, and you felt like if you start to think you’ll start crying. You kept all your emotions in. You have no time to cry. You have to find somewhere to stay the night.

You considered going to your cousin’s house, but it’s a long way and you have no money to catch a ride there. Besides, if you go there, her mom will just tell your parents where you are. You ruled out that idea.

It was a stupid argument that lead you into leaving home. It’s always the same. How you’re great but didn’t manage to be the best. How you’re smart but never manage to be the smartest. How you can never be the number one.

It was an old competition. For the thousandth time, Athena beat you again.

Their expectation ruined your life. Your mind is trained to think everyone around you is a threat. That everyone trying to get close to you are there to betray you. You have no friend because you’re raised to trust no one.

You scanned your mental list of people you know and whether or not you know their address. You remember a few from whenever you decide to meet on someone’s house for a group project. But because of how competitive you are you’re not in good terms with any of them, and they live far away from where you are.

The nearest one is Athena’s house. . . .

No. Not at all. You’d die first before you ask Athena for help. You’re not gonna owe someone like her.

“Hey!” a voice called.

You jolted up to see two men coming to your direction. You backed away immediately. “What do you want?”

“What’s on your bags?” said the first man holding a baseball bat.

“None of your business, dickheads!” you spat.

The two stepped closer, and you stepped farther away. When you tripped on a twig, that’s when the two men decided to lunge at you.

You grabbed your suitcase and threw it at the men, which bought you time to run away. You turned to a street, hoping somehow you lost the two men, whatever their motives are.

You readjusted your hood and proceeded to walk fast with caution, at the edge where the streetlights couldn’t shine at you. When no one came at you, you sat on a bench to catch your breath. Hopefully those bandits have given up or found someone else to loot, which isn’t really something to hope for. You took your time to examine the street.

You found yourself exactly in front of your arch nemesis’s yard.

There is a rush on your chest. You looked around, making sure no one is around. You’d rather face those bandits again than to face Athena. . . or do you?

You need a place to spend the night, and Athena’s house is just right there. Besides—

No. You will NEVER ask her for help. She’s the reason you argued with your parents anyway. Before she came, you were the valedictorian, then she took your place and everything fell apart. She didn’t only take the first place from you—she took people’s respect, your parent’s love—she took everything. Why would you ask her for help when she’s the reason your life fell apart?

But do you really want that life? No friends, everyone talking about you behind your back, everyone you meet annoyed at you? No, you don’t want that. You never wanted that. It wasn’t Athena’s fault.