Chapter 18

───≍✤≍───∘∙❖∙∘───≍✤≍───

The moment Klerus and Felix found out that the first princess had talked to the Emperor about stepping down as the crown princess was a dismay to them. It's not that they see Athanasia as unworthy of the throne, it's just that Acreya deserves the throne, especially now that she's accomplished a lot of things.

Inside the private garden Claude gifted to Acreya, the Princess and her knight are having a conversation.

"Your Highness, how could you turn down your position on the throne?" Klerus asked. The Princess, who sat on the edge of the basin, hands playing on the clear water as she sighed.

Klerus, I'm not capable-" she was interrupted by Klerus, who kneeled in front of her.

"You are more than capable of that, Your Highness. Please don't belittle yourself. " Acreya just stared at Klerus as the knight continued.

"Indeed, Princess Athanasia has a more powerful mana than you. The Princess is a prodigy, but the one who endangers herself to protect her people is you, Princess Acreya. "

"The one who always works nonstop, even in the middle of the night, is you."

"The people scream for your name." Your people believe in you, and I believe that you can be the greatest ruler of Obelian. " Reaching out her hand, Acreya cupped the Knight's jaw.

"I already said my words and I'm not going to take them back."

"Your High-"

"There is nothing to take back, Acreya." Both were taken aback by the sudden voice and turned their heads to look at the source of the voice.Claude was walking towards them, with Athanasia next to him and Felix walking behind them. Klerus and Acreya stood up to give respect to Claude.

"What do you mean by that, Father?" Confusion was written on Acreya's face.

"Leave us for a moment." Athanasia just looks up at her father and grins at her older sister before leaving with the two knights. Claude walked towards the fountain and sat on the basin.

"I didn't say I agreed with what you said back then, Acreya. Your knight is right, you're more than capable of leading this Empire. "

"But Father-" Once again, she was cut.

"A ruler isn't chosen, but he ascends the throne through heredity, then if you are the eldest, you are the first in line. You know that very well, Acreya. " The latter could only nod her head.

"What do you think is the aspect of being a ruler, Acreya?"

"The one who acts with temperament, holiness, justice, strength, and wisdom. The one who always puts his people first before himself. "