Feel the Flame, Golden Song

A well-ventilated living room overlooking a flower garden, high ceiling, glass chandelier, and cameras

A well-ventilated living room overlooking a flower garden, high ceiling, glass chandelier, and cameras. It's like I'm still watching one of Shivani's YouTube videos at home, but this is really happening.

I'm in her living room right now, the same place where she shoots and records most of her podcasts.

"I'm kinda nervous," I tell her as she sits on an empty space on the couch beside me.

"Oh, just have fun. Think of it as a chit-chat between us and not as an interview," she says as she aggressively types on her phone.

"Where's the other host? You said she's on her way but that was an hour ago," Shivani's brother says from behind the camera.

"I just texted her and she said she can't make it. This is so annoying. She should've given me a heads-up."

"I know someone who can replace her. She's a vlogger, and she's here in the Philippines right now. I can call her and ask her to come over."

"Don't, Neel. I'm sure she's having a vacation."

"I'll call her and see if she'll agree. And I'll mention Ms. Famous here so she'll come," Neel winks at me as he walks away. When he's out of sight, Shivani looks at me. "I can't believe it, Silver. You're extra famous now but you didn't respond to interviews but mine?! I'm so lucky to have you as a friend." She reaches out to me and squeezes my hand.

"I think 'extra famous' is an overstatement."

"You're humble as ever." She rolls her eyes. "As if your latest song didn't get five million streams and counting."

After she says this, Neel returns to the living room, a bright smile on his face. He's waving his phone in the air. "Good news, girls. She's on her way now!"

Shivani grins. "Thanks, bro!" She stands up and hugs him.

"How did you get to know her anyway?" I ask.

"I'm a fan of hers, actually. I always comment on her posts and then one day she replied! And the rest is history."

After twenty minutes, a cheerful voice calls from the hall, "Hey Neel! Nice to finally meet you again."

Walking from the entrance to the living room, a woman in her early twenties glides across the room towards us. She's in a frilly blue dress paired with white heels. Her auburn hair and natural makeup suits her well. She looks so beautiful yet painfully familiar.

Shivani and I stood up from our seats. "I'm Shivani Kumar, Neel's sister." She grins and turns to me. "And this is Silver Winters."

"Nice to meet you," she says and bows. "I'm Golden Song." As she straightens up, her lips are pulled in a smile. "I'm sorry I'm late. Let's start the interview then?"

◉ ◎ ◉

Golden sits on my left while Shivani sits on my right. As Neel is fixing a camera's angle, I watch Golden as she looks at the garden outside. Everything about her reminds me of my best friend from eleven years ago. The way she carries herself, the way a smile plays on her lips, even the way she spaces out. The only thing that's different is my friend was a chatterbox.