What He Left Behind

The sun might be already setting, but I really don't care

The sun might be already setting, but I really don't care. I'm too busy thinking about what words to add to fulfill the 5,000 words needed for an essay. I sigh as I narrow my eyes at the topic on my laptop's screen. What is love? I cringe. What is this, elementary school? I thought college was better than this.

Thinking about what to write, my mind drifts to the relationships of my friends with their special someone. What if someday, I'll be in a relationship too? Just the idea of it makes me smile. It doesn't seem that bad to dream about it. If I get to have a boyfriend, there should be things that we should bond over, right?

A date under the stars or go see a meteor shower.

Maybe trespassing in an abandoned property at night and scare ourselves.

Trying out several cat cafés in a day.

Going to a Taylor Swift concert.

I write all the things I can think of in the last pages of my journal. Then when that right person comes, I'll let them read what I have written and try to cross out all of them by doing it together.

I smile as I start to daydream about all the things I'll do with my future boyfriend. I'm sure he'll be okay with everything I have written here and we'll have the greatest time of our lives. I smile as I write "the right person for me is the only one who can read this journal up until the end" on the very first page of my journal.

Suddenly, my phone vibrates. The screen lights up, displaying my best friend Katharina's name. I quickly answer her call.

"Hey, Kath. Why did you call me?"

"Alisha, you need to come over now!" Her voice is shaking, and panic rises in me.

"Wait, where are you now?!"

"I - I'm at Willowbrooke Resort. You need to come. Hurry!" Then the call drops.

"Kath? Kath!" I scream at my phone. I don't like the way her voice sounded. It was shaking like she's panicking.

I don't like the feelings I got from her call. She might be in danger.

With shaking hands, I scramble to pick up my laptop and my backpack. Without looking back, I rush to Willowbrooke.

・• ● •・

"Surprise!" Almost everyone I know throws confetti at me as I enter the resort, my mouth agape. What the hell?

"Happy birthday, Alisha! I knew you would come," Kath grins as she leads me to one of the biggest tables.

Everything starts to sink in slowly. "What is this?" I manage to ask.

"I can't believe you forgot your own birthday," a voice that sounds like my papa's says behind me. I turn around to see if it's really him.

"Papa! I thought you're in Iloilo!" I hug him tight. He hasn't been here in Metro Manila since he and mama had their marriage annulment three years ago.