As Our Fates Intertwine

It's a new day, but my mind still goes back to what happened yesterday

It's a new day, but my mind still goes back to what happened yesterday. I was taking a picture on one of the scenic trails in Mt. Jiri, wearing the hanbok I brought with me especially for my vacation.

"Mihui, you're so extra," my best friend remarked as he watched me adjust my sleeves. "I don't get why you need to wear that just for a picture."

"You don't get it because you don't give an effort in whatever you do," I said, and that made our other friends laugh. "I want to make my posts look like they're from the past."

"Sure, whatever." He raised the camera to take another picture. "Ready?"

"Make sure it's a candid shot!"

"I got this!" After taking a few pictures, he slowly lowered the camera down. I can see his eyes focused on something from behind me.

"What is it?" I ask.

"There was someone behind those trees." He points at the trees behind me. "I think they were watching you."

I broke into laughter. "Stop it, you're not scaring me. Just give up!" I took his arm and pulled him with me as our group started to continue walking along the trail.

That time, I was actually starting to get scared. I didn't feel good about that place, and I felt like someone was watching me. I convinced myself it was just nothing, but when we were around that area again and I was lagging behind, someone appeared in front of me. I still can't forget his face looking at me with such joy.

"Um, hello? Do you need something?" I asked him.

"Soyeon." He took a step forward while I stepped back. Tears started to form in his eyes and I just stood there, confused. He smiled a bittersweet smile and said, "I can't believe it, you finally came. I waited forever."

He tried to take my hands but I recoiled. Something didn't feel right about him. He looked strange, with him wearing traditional clothing. It didn't fail to cross my mind that maybe he's mocking me.

"I don't know you. You mistook me for someone else." I quickly ran away from him without looking back.

I'm in my studio right now in Seoul. Today should be the last day of my vacation but last night, my boss asked me to go to the office today. Even if I hate it, I called a taxi to take me back home in the middle of the night while my friends continue to have the best vacation ever.

I want to curse my boss. If he wants to drown in paperwork, he should drown alone and not drag me along with him.

I pick up my phone from the nightstand and turn it on. The cherry blossom festival is today, and I should be enjoying it right now with my friends. Instead, I'm already back home and I don't like it.

Mr. Cha can wait. I'm watching the festival online so he can wait all day in the office for all I care. I'm not going and he can never change my mind.

Then I jerk up after realizing something. If I don't go to work today, it'll be my loss, not his. This just makes me more infuriated, but what can I do?