a problem

Todoroki was always the first to notice something was wrong, and the next time something was wrong, it was seriously wrong.

---------

Izuku went home after the first week of school. His first weekend at home in highschool. His parents were angry at eachother. He could feel the weight of their emotions the second he walked in their home Friday evening. He peeked around the hallway corner only to see his mom cut and bleeding, a broken beer bottle at her feet and a half empty one in her hand.

He didn't want to get involved. He turned the corner as quietly as he could with plans to sneak back to his room, but felt himself yanked back by the collar of his shirt. He coughed and heald his throat.

Before he knew it, his dad was in his face yelling garbled, drunk nonsense. He was furious. He didn't know why. He struggled to get out. He didn't understand what he had done wrong. His dad only got more upset as he struggled, he could feel his mother getting irritated with him as well.

Pinned to the wall.

Beaten with a belt.

Punched, kicked, hit repeatedly in the same spots.

A bloody, misshapen nose.

A deep, swollen purple eye.

The worst of it is when his dad used his quirk to burn right through his clothes. His whole back was covered in grotesque boils and blisters. It was a deep red, bloody in spots from how deep the burn was.

It never seemed to end, he had glass stuck in the palms of his hands, he could barely open his eye let alone see out of it. His stomach hurt worse than he'd ever felt before. His dad threw up, so drunk he wouldn't remember any of this in the morning, and made Izuku clean up his mess. It only ended when his dad passed out a few hours later.

He crawled to his room, collapsed on the inside and managed to kick his door shut from his position on the ground. He layed there the whole weekend, blood seeping into his carpet. After 12 hours his urge to go to the bathroom got so bad he dragged himself to the small bathroom right outside his bedroom. He relieved himself, threw up down the front of his bare chest from the pain, and then crawled back to his room.

He laid back down in the same spot for the rest of the weekend. In and out of conciousness the whole time. By the time 4am came around he started getting dressed. By 5 he left. By 6:30 he was at school. Class started at 7:00.

------

Izuku walked into class early. No one was there. He wasn't doing well. Not at all.

They had beat him to a pulp, his whole back was littered with boils and blisters. It hurt. He felt like he was melting. Besides the burns, the belt had done it's fair share of damage. Not to mention the relentless kicking to his stomach. There was a large purple bruise there, he felt permanently sick.

To the outside world he looked ill, disheveled, and shaken up.

The next person to walk in was Iida, who made it apparent he was worried about Midoriya. He walked right over to him.

"Midoriya. Are you okay? You look very sick." Iida said, taking notice of his black eye and swollen nose, "it's very important to take care of your health. Did someone hurt you? If you need me to walk you down to the nurse's office I can."