Chapter 24

Y/n POV

We could've been walking for minutes or hours it was hard to tell. All I do know was that my feet hurt and my worry for Elsa never dimmed. I walked behind Anna and Olaf as they led the way. Some parts of the tunnel were a tight fit while other parts opened up into vast caverns. The ground was slippery and rough but we continued on until we came to a stop. A fork in the road. Two branches of the tunnel leading off in different directions. 

"Hmm. Which lucky tunnel do we choose?" Olaf questions. 

I'm about to answer when a cold gust of wind blows through the cave causing a shiver to run down my spine. blue light comes from the left tunnel and a whisp of snowflakes shoot towards us and circle us. A voice echoes in the cave. 

"You see, the dam will weaken their lands, and they'll have to turn to me."

A statue of snow and ice starts forming in front of us. I can almost make out two human figures in the flurries. A second voice echoes in the tunnel after the first, "King Runeard, the dam, it's hurting the forest."

The statue finishes and the magic disappears. There are two figures in the picture. One kneeling on the ground drinking from a bowl and another posed above him with a sword raised ready to strike. The image turns my stomach. 

Me and Anna share a look before stepping closer to inspect the statue. "Elsa's found it." Anna says. 

"What is it?" Olaf asks from behind us. 

"The truth about the past," I respond. Anna and I share a second, sadder glance. I turn back to the statue, "That's your grandfather..." I trail off.

"Attacking the Northuldra leader," Anna adds.

"Who wields no weapon," I say softly as I look down. "The dam wasn't a gift of peace, it was a trick."

Anna sighs sadly and looks up at the statue of her grandfather. 

"But that goes against everything Arendelle stands for." Olaf says. 

We look towards the snowman whose eyes swim with confusion. I nod. "It does, doesn't it?" Anna says.

"Sometimes the past is not always what it seems," I mutter. 

Anna slowly sits down on a rock, her face full of sadness and grief, "I know how to free the forest." She turns and looks towards the snow statue, "I know what we have to do to set things right."

"Why do you say that so sadly?" Olaf asks.

"We have to break the dam." I say, my voice cracking slightly. 

"But Arendelle will be flooded." Olaf says worriedly.

"That's why everyone was forced out." Anna says understanding, "To protect them from what has to be done."

I sit next to Anna and lay my head on her shoulder while wrapping my arm around her shoulders in a half hug. Olaf comes over too and lays his head on her lap. We sit like that for a second in silence. All of us coming to terms with what's about to happen. Olaf speaks first, "Are you two okay?" He asks.

"We could really use a bright side, Olaf," I say as a tear slips down my cheek. 

Olaf sits up quickly and looks at us trying to think of something to say, "Brightside? umm.... turtles can breathe through their butts." He says with a forced smile. 

"Huh?" Anna looks at me and I shrug before she turns back to the snowman. 

Olaf looks off in the distance and his smile becomes less forced. His eyes widen happily, "Oh. Oh! And I see a way out!" He points in a direction.