Chapter 20: Testing our Abilities

****3rd person POV***

It had been about a year and a half since the incident on the beach, and the whale Ajax summoned never appeared again. Y/N and Ajax were around 16/17 years old now.

It became an unspoken rule never to mention Y/n's or Ajax's time in the abyss as it caused a rift to be created in the family.

After school, both Y/N and Ajax worked to help support the family.

This chapter takes place one day when they were walking home from their jobs. It was pretty late at night, normally, the streets would be empty, but on this occasion, someone was watching and observing the pair.

***Ajax POV***

I went to meet Y/N out the back of the grocery shop she worked part-time at. I finished a tad earlier than her, so I went to meet her. I watched through the window as she hung her uniform up and puts on the coat I had brought her when she first came to this land. She had grown a bit taller since then. I started to think back to the moment I met her, remembering what she looked like then and how she had changed. She really had developed in all the right places, and that coat was looking a bit on the tight side now in certain places. My thoughts started to wander as I pictured her in my mind.

"Ajax!" A sudden voice stops my train of thought as I blink, bringing myself back into reality. "Whatever weird thought you are thinking about, stop it!" The voice continues.

I chuckled, "My bad". My face must have turned fairly red for her to react like that. But how could I help it when thinking about her. She was my everything, and some would call us partners in crime. But she was infact my rock. I don't know where I would be without her. I look down (Author note: or up if you taller) At her slightly stern face. Yep, she was judging me. I could just tell. But with her adorable eyes looking at me, I couldn't I take her seriously; she was just so darn cute. I reached my hand out and ruffled her hair. "All right, come on then, girlie, let go home. You'll catch a cold if you stand around in this weather". I reach my hand out, offering to take her bags.

She huffed, ignoring me like she expected some sort of apology

She huffed, ignoring me like she expected some sort of apology. "Well, I could say the same to you," she replied.

After about 12 minutes of walking, we were about to enter the forest near our home outside the bakery I worked at when sudden Y/N stopped and looked around.

"What's wrong?" I asked her, confused. I couldn't hear anything. It was pretty dark now, so I definitely couldn't see much other than the shadows of the landmarks around us.

The wind blew, and there was silence.

"Be quiet...." Y/N whispered and put her hand out to stop me from going any further.

Was this some kind of joke? Was she trying to protect me from something? That was silly. There was no sort of wildlife around here that either of us couldn't handle. In fact, we were easily the strong in our village. What was there to be scared of?