Chapter 1 - Simple Routines

She was starting to slip. Her arms were trembling and her patience was wearing thin. She gave it all she had yet again, but that kriffing bult would not for the life of her loosen up! She attempted turning her whole body. Trying to use all of her weight instead, while struggling to keep herself balanced on the side of the 3 meter tall vaporator. She braced herself, taking a deep breath, and for a final time started pushing with all of her might!

But nothing happened.

Not a single movement or progress was made.

So she let out a deep sigh and gave up.

I'll try again tomorrow. She thought, as she looked down at her poor overworked hands. There were calluses, both old and new, littered across the palms of her now red and sweaty hands.

She shifted her attention from her sore hands, towards the horizon where the sun was setting. She always tried to enjoy this time of day, when the blazing sunset colors the usually boring desert surface, transforming it into a beautiful glowing color palette of warm red, orange and specks of almost gold colored rocks dotted throughout the landscape. It always reminded her about her home planet of Felucia.

But if she was being honest, Arvala-7s desert ground could never really compare to the colorful jungles of Felucia. But throughout her years in the galaxy, she had learned to always appreciate a scenic view whenever she came by one, so she would happily take the rocky desert in front of her.

As she was enjoying the view, she heard footsteps coming from down below. She already knew who it was, so she continued watching the sunset until she heard his voice.

"Melora" Said a slightly gruff voice from the ground. She looked down and saw exactly who she expected; her little Ugnaught friend Kuiil, was staring up at her with his usual, somewhat, grumpy face.

"Yeah?" It wasn't really a question, even though she made it sound like one. Kuiil didn't respond, he just turned around waiting for Melora to follow. This was kinda how most of their interactions went, short and sweet.

Melora had been living on this moisture farm with Kuiil for the past year and a half, and their routine had essentially been the same since day one.

They would wake up at the crack of dawn, eat some roasted roots for breakfast before going out working on whatever needs fixing on the moisture farm or tending to the blurrgs. And when the sun starts setting, dinner is made and whoever doesn't make the meal takes care of the dishes.

It's a simple routine and a simple life, but it works for them.

As her stomach made a hungry growl, she started making her way back down to the ground as gracefully as one could with an exhausted body. She walked through the doors of their home and got hit with the lovely aroma of Blurrg stew, a classic in the Kuiil-Melora household.

She sat down opposite of her companion, who had already begun eating, and started munching on her food. As usual, the meat was chewy and bitter paired with the thick, gooey consistency of the rest of the stew.

Melora looked over at Kuiil as he was silently enjoying his food, or, at least she thought he was. It was hard for her to tell when he looks about the same most of the time. Kuiils facial expression usually consisted of either looking like he's extremely disappointed in you, or as if you've just slapped his mother. When Melora first met him, it was a bit intimidating talking to him because she couldn't tell what he was feeling, let alone thinking. But as time went on, she learned that beneath Kuiils rough exterior, was probably one of the kindest people in the galaxy.

She was awoken from her thoughts when she realized she had been staring at the Ugnaught. He looked up at her and raised an eyebrow to ask 'what?'

"Oh! Sorry, I just got lost in thought" She answered, slightly waving a hand in the air to dismiss it. He nods in response and continues eating again as they return to their comfortable silence.

"So, did you find any more Blurrgs today?" Melora asked after a short while.

"No, I will continue again tomorrow"

"Alright" She gave a little nod as he continued eating what little is left in his bowl.

"Any trouble with the mercenaries?" She asked.

Since before Melora came to the farm, Kuiil had been dealing with some Nikto mercenaries as well as countless bounty hunters trying to take the other out. And so far, whenever a bounty hunter arrives, they never leave the planet alive. So the mercenaries keep wreaking havoc upon the peaceful little planet, and sometimes when Kuiil goes farther out looking for blurrgs, he crosses their path and ends up catching some heat. So far though, he hasn't gotten that hurt, but Melora always worries that his luck will eventually run out.

"Saw three out by the southeastern ravine, but they did not notice me" Kuiil answered in his usual calm tone.

"You sure?" She looked at him as she put down her spoon. "That's pretty close by" Furrowing her brows slightly, she tries to calculate the distance between them and the ravine.

"Yes, I am sure" It was small, but his eyes did soften ever so slightly, as if he tried to calm her nerves. Melora gave him another little nod and they fell into silence again. As Kuiil finished his dinner, he noticed that Melora was absentmindedly swirling her spoon around in her bowl.

"Eat" Kuiil told her, concerned about wasted food and a malnourished Melora. She snapped out of her thoughts again and did what he said. Content with her reaction, Kuiil stood up to retire for the night.

"You want me to go with you tomorrow? Just to be safe, you know?" Melora asked as her spoon had made it halfway to her mouth.

"Did you finish fixing the vaporator?" He asked her back, leaning slightly on the table. She looked at him for a moment, knowing that he knew she didn't.

"No." She slumped her shoulders a bit as she awaited what she already knows is coming.

"Then, I have spoken" He said, as he stood up fully and walked to his bedroom. Melora looked down at her stew and childishly said to herself 'I have spoken' in a dramatic interpretation of Kuiil.

After a while though, she finished her food and went on to do her duty of doing the dishes. Her mind was starting to wind down as she reminded herself that Kuiil had been looking for blurrgs all on his own, way before she arrived and been fine. It calmed her a little, not by much, but a little. And when she finally made her way over to her bed and laid her head on her pillow, she drifted off into dreamland almost instantly.

⁓⁓⁓⁓⁓⁓⁓⁓⁓⁓⁓⁓

Heyo!
You've read the whole chapter, thanks

If you want, you can press the star, it makes me feel good :)