Chapter 10 - Regret

She hadn't found much, but at least it was something. Melora looked down at the components sighing, not feeling too excited with what she found. The original laser cannons of the ship had been replaced by twin heavy repeating blasters a while back, which were more modern than most components the Crest had, meaning it was easier to find those parts. She had also found some new wires for the engine reversal system that aren't responding quite the way they should.

It's better than nothing. Melora thought as she looked at the components. The shop wasn't that big to begin with, so the hope of finding the right parts were slim. But she had done a thorough job of looking through everything, and by this point the shop owner had almost forgotten the woman was still there.

As she was looking at a few sensors for landing systems, deciding whether she could use them or not, Mando walked through the shop doors. The Twi'lek owner looked at the Mandalorian with greed as she stared at his new armor. Mando paid her no attention as he searched for his mechanic, finding her standing at the back of the shop.

"It's done, lets go" He said through his modulator, making his voice sound harsher than he meant to. Melora jumped slightly, turning around at his voice. She was about to say something before she noticed his new shiny beskar armor.

"Wow," She said in awe, looking him up and down. "I've never seen so much beskar before" She forgot all about the sensors and even the man inside of the armor as she leaned towards him, absolutely mesmerized by the quality of it. The Mandalorian tensed slightly as she moved closer, not out of uncomfort, but for the unusual feeling it gave him.

"It's beautiful," She said, looking at each individual piece. "The craftsmanship is amazing" She stated as she looked up at him smiling. He hadn't expected her to react like this, and the compliment and her genuine smile made him feel almost nervous. She had so many questions going through her head and she wanted to study it, but before she voiced any of her thoughts she realized how close she had moved to him. Mando had to tilt his head down to look at her as he towered over her, the lighting in the shop caused his shadow to fall over her.

She took a step back, collecting herself as she moved the conversation over to the components instead. The Mandalorian let out a silent breath he didn't know he was holding at the increased space between them.

"These are the parts I found" She motioned to them. "It's not much, but it's all I can use on the ship." She went to take out the credits she would use to pay for them when Mando stopped her.

"Here" He said, giving her some credits from one of his pockets.

"Oh, okay" She said as she accepted it before picking up the parts and hauling them over to the shop owner. As she was paying, Mando waited outside the shop for her to come out. When she did, he quietly took a few parts from her arms to help her carry them to the ship.

Melora wanted to ask about the child, her anxiety had not lessened since she last saw it, and the need to know only grew as she walked next to the bounty hunter. She could also feel a uneasiness about Mando, he felt different and Melora couldn't shake the bad feeling that it gave her.

"I hope the child will be alright" She regretted her words right as they left her lips, feeling stupid for saying such a thing. It was his bounty, she knew she shouldn't care about it now that they had gotten paid.

Mando looked over at her, regret started to weigh on him as he saw the worry in her eyes. He had followed the code and done what he was supposed to, but it didn't feel right, and he hated it. He had never felt like this after a mission before. He wanted it to go away, so he tried changing the subject.

"I've got a new job" He said bluntly. "A nobleman's son skipped bail, we're going to Karnac" Mando looked straight ahead, unable to look the woman in her eyes. He could see her nodding her head slowly in his peripheral vision.

They continued the rest of their walk back to the Razor Crest in silence, only hearing the noise of the town in the background. But neither of them really listened to it, too preoccupied with the thoughts that were in each of their heads. They reached the ship, laying the parts inside the hangar for Melora to use later. She figured she could work on repairs while Mando was out getting the new bounty. But for now, she followed him up to the cockpit and buckled up in her seat as Mando started up the ship.

He flicked all the switches and turned on the engines. But right as he was about to pull the lever to ignite the thrusters, he paused. The lever's knob was missing. The very same one the child had been playing with. It was laying next to him on the control panel. Mando picked it up and looked at it, before hesitantly putting it back onto its rightful place. As he was slowly screwing it back on, thoughts and doubts were filling his mind regarding the child and his decision to deliver it. He slowly pushed the lever, starting to lift off, and as they were about to leave the ground, he switched it off, changing his mind. He hastily turned everything off while Melora looked at him confused.

"What are you doing?" She asked quickly, watching him move fast over the control panel. She unbuckled herself from the seat about to walk over to him as he turned around towards her.

"Stay here" He said as he took firm steps towards the ladder.

"What?" She said as she followed him down to the hangar. He took out some weapons from his storage as Melora stood behind him awaiting his answer.

"I'm getting the child back, stay here and be ready with the ship" He flung his rifle over his shoulder as Melora stood there in shock. Realizing he was serious, she felt her stomach flip with happiness but also worry, and before she could reply Mando had already exited the ship.

~~~~~~

Heyo! 
Hope you liked this chapter :)

If you did, you can press the star, it makes me feel like I've got a brand new set of beskar armor