Chapter 8 - Drifting Off

The Razor Crest was drifting through space, heading towards the planet of Nevarro.
Inside the safe confinement of the ship's cockpit, the small creature was still stuck in its deep slumber. Melora kept looking over at the child, wondering when it was going to wake up. She counted the hours since she last saw it awake.

"Is it normal for it to sleep for this long?" She asked, not really expecting him to know the answer.
Mando turned in his seat, away from the control panel, towards the two passengers.

"I don't think so," He said slowly. "Something happened to it when I was retrieving the egg" He looked tense as he recollected the events.

"What happened?" Melora furrowed her brows in concern, looking at the Mandalorian.

"I'm not sure" He paused for a few moments, trying to understand it himself. "It protected me against the Mudhorn" He concluded, sounding confused.
She looked over at the small sleeping child, trying to figure out how it could have possibly protected the bounty hunter from a big and dangerous beast such as a Mudhorn.

"How?" She said in a mix of awe and confusion, looking back over at Mando.

"I can't really explain it" He sounded defeated. Truthfully, Mando didn't really know what happened. He couldn't understand how such a small being could lift something so much bigger than itself, and without even touching it! How could anyone, or anything possess such powers?

"What do you mean?" Mandos' words just confused her even more. "Did it get hurt?" She tried her best to help the man to explain the situation.

"Not really, not physically" He looked at the child, worry started to form over the health of it.
The Mandalorians explanation didn't really bring any light to the situation and the woman was sitting there, just as confused as before. She realized she wouldn't get a better understanding from Mando, so she decided to keep a watchful eye over the child for now.

"Maybe it's just really tired" Melora said after a while. "We'll just have to wait and see I guess" A tired sigh left her lips, she still hadn't rested much since they left Arvala-7 or since fixing the ship.

"You should rest as well, I'll wake you when we arrive" Mando looked at her. He saw how she was fighting off her sleepiness as she watched the child.

"I should be awake when it wakes" She nodded over to the child.

"I'll be awake, you need rest" Mando said, making her look at him.
The more she thought about it, she realized he was right. She would be an absolute mess in a few hours if she didn't go to sleep now. So she nodded to him in agreement and tried her best at making herself comfortable in her seat. Mando turned around at her agreement, satisfied with the outcome, and continued to pilot the ship.

~~~~~~

A while after Melora had fallen asleep, the child began to stir in its carrier. It opened its eyes, blinking a few times as it let out a few soft gurgles. The small creature took its three fingered hand and rubbed some sleep from its eye, before it began sitting itself upright.
Mando glanced behind him, acknowledging its awakening.
He tried to not care about the child's well being, other than delivering it alive as agreed. He didn't want to care, it would only make things worse. Mando didn't know that this bounty was a child, he wouldn't have accepted the job if he did, no matter the pay. But he had agreed, and now he has to follow through with the mission and not break the code.

I should probably wake her up now that the child is awake. Mando though, turning around in his seat.
He looked at her, it didn't seem like the most comfortable position to sleep in, but she looked at peace. Her chest was rising and falling in a slow and calm rhythm, her head resting softly on the metal wall and she looked too relaxed to wake up. He hesitated for a moment, just looking at her, before deciding that he didn't want to break the first promise he ever made to her.
He leaned over, reaching his arm towards her and gently shoved her knee to wake her up. The child watched the two of them with sleepy yet focused eyes.
After a few tries and some encouragement, Melora woke up. Much like the child, she rubbed her eyes as she began to gain consciousness again.

"It's awake" Mando said, sitting up straight again. He motioned over to the small child, as it was peering over its carrier looking at her. "And we're landing on Nevarro soon"

"Alright" Melora nodded her head groggily in response. She felt as if she had slept for two years, she barely recognized Mandos beskar helmet and felt very disoriented when first opening her eyes.
But now she was back mentally, and looked over to the child as it raised its hand in a kind of wave. She waved back lightly as she smiled at it.

It doesn't seem that hurt after all. She thought as relief washed over her.

Mando had already turned back over, steering the ship, as a transmission came through.

"Mando, I've received your transmission" A middle aged man bagan talking through the hollowgram. "Wonderful news. Upon your return, deliver the quarry directly to the client" Melora realized that the man was probably part of whatever guild Mando was hired through.

"I have no idea if he wants to eat it or hang it on his walls, but he's very antsy." The hollowgram continued. Melora looked over to the child as it was crawling out of its carrier, over to Mando. She furrowed her brows at the guild man's statement, the employer didn't seem to be friendly. It worried her and she started to feel guilty.

What kind of future are we sending it to? She looked over to Mando, he didn't seem to react to any of it and that worried her even more.

"Safe passage! You know where to find me" The hollowgram ended and the man in it disappeared as the child reached one of the levers next to Mando, and pulled off its knob.

"Its not a toy" Mando said as the child had started to chew on it. He took the metal knob from its hands and lifted the child over to its carrier, letting out a soft 'coo' in protest.

When Mando had sat down again, the cockpit fell quiet. Melora was deep in thought and didn't think the masked man would ease any of them, probably only make them worse.
The man glanced behind him, first at the child, questioning the reasons why ex-imps would want it and what would happen to it when they did. Then he glanced at Melora, who was looking out at the stars. She seemed to have drifted off in thought, probably about the child Mando feared. He didn't want her to get attached, because they were now moments away from landing on Nevarro.

~~~~~~

Heyo!
Hope you like the original scenes I've added :)

If you did, you can press the star, it would make me feel nice