Chapter 12 - Shake and Rumble

The Mandalorian sat in his seat, his focus set on piloting the ship while trying to find a suitable planet for the three of them to lay low on. The last few days had been eventful to say the least, for all of them. They deserved a bit of downtime to catch their breaths.

Melora had made a small sleeping area for herself down on the hangar floor with some blankets and pillows she bought on Nevarro. She had tucked herself under the soft fabric and curled up against the wall, cocooning herself from reality as the sound of the Razor Crests engine lulled her to a peaceful sleep.

Up in the cockpit, the little creature had crawled its way up onto the control panel to get a better view of the stars. It had quickly lost interest in the small shiny dots, instead it turned its attention onto the more colorful and blinking buttons that were right next to it. It looked around, eyes wide with excitement and wonder as curiosity took a hold of the little thing. It reached out and flipped a green switch, making a few beeps emit as it turned off. The child giggled at the sound, its pointy ears perking up in excitement as it reached for the switch, wanting to hear the funny sound again.

"Stop touching things" Mandos monotone voice crackled through his modulator, stopping the child. It looked at him as he continued to pilot, barely paying attention to it.

Maybe the child was bored or looking for attention, but either way, it paid no mind to the Mandalorians command as it inched its way towards another funny looking button and pressed it. The Crest started to shake and rumble causing Mandos stress levels to spike. He reached towards the button to stabilize the shaking ship right before he picked up the child and held it close to him, attempting to keep it away from causing more trouble.

He sighed when the ship was back to normal, looking down at the child in his arms. It smiled up towards him looking proud of what it had done, cooing and giggling. He turned around in his seat looking towards the ladder, listening for any sounds coming from downstairs, concerned that Melora had gotten woken up from all of the noise.

Down in the hangar, in the midst of all the ruckus, Meloras forehead had slammed into the ship's wall causing the woman to jump up from her sleeping position. She looked around frantically and saw a Jawa standing by the opposite wall, making her instinctively grab her blaster and within seconds she had it pointed at the figure. A few heavy breaths and some frantic blinking later, her vision and senses came back to her as she returned to consciousness and realized that the Jawa, was in fact, just some boxes covered by cloth. She lowered her aiming hand shakily as she calmed herself, slowly rising to her feet. Walking over to the ladder she could hear faint giggling of her favorite green friend.

'They're fine' She smiled faintly. Her heart started to return to its normal rhythm as she started making her way up to the cockpit.

Mando lowered his head in disappointment at the child as he heard Melora make her way towards them, knowing that it woke her up. The child didn't seem to understand what it had done, as it only looked happy that its friend was back. It cooed towards the woman as she opened the door to greet them.

"What was all that?" She asked, looking at the two of them in the pilot seat.

"It was touching things" Mando said in defeat, looking down at the child as it was reaching out for Melora. She smiled and walked towards the little thing as it giggled.

"Best I watch it for you then so we don't crash" The woman joked as she picked up the child from Mandos arms. He nodded in agreement before he turned around in his seat to continue his search, still a little annoyed that the child woke her up.

The child burrowed itself in Meloras arms, cooing in contentment, grabbing her thumb with its three little fingers. She looked down at it and smiled again, warmth spread through her whole body and it felt like her whole heart might explode from the feeling. She realized that she would do anything for this strange child, and she was more than happy about it.

"Let's see. Sorgan. Looks like there's no star port, no industrial centers, no population density. Real backwater skug hole" Mando interrupted their moment. "Which means it's perfect for us" He turned around in his seat, away from the map he had just looked at, shifting his attention over to the pair behind him.

"Ready to lay low and stretch your legs for a couple of months, you little womp rat?" He reached out, nudging the child playfully. "Nobody is going to find us there" The child cooed happily as it looked between its two protectors.

"Sounds good" Melora smiled at Mando in agreement. "How long until we get there do you think?"

Mando looked at the woman in front of him, holding the child comfortably in her arms. He wondered how in the shining stars someone like him ended up here with them. He wasn't complaining, quite the opposite actually. But it also scared him a bit. He had never felt like this or acted like this before. He tried not to think about it. But right at that moment, with the two of them looking so happy and safe, he couldn't help but to feel at home.

"Mando?" Malora tilted her head in question at the quiet Mandalorian.

"I'm not sure" He hurried out, slightly embarrassed at zoning out. He tried to not show it though as he turned around in his seat again, away from them.

"Well, I thought I could repair the carbonite freezing chamber I broke before in the meantime" She explained. "So just tell me when we're close, alright?" She said, slightly confused at his mood change.

Without looking at them, the Mandalorian nodded, signaling the end of the conversation. Melora, with the child in her arms, made her way down to the hangar to repair the damages, hoping to also try to teach the little creature something in the process.

~~~~~~

Lost a bit of motivation to write for a while, but I'm back! Don't know how consistent the uploads are going to be, but I'd rather want them to be good then rushed and boring yk

But anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much as I do :)

If you did, you can press the star!