Chapter 14 - Blue Petals

A cool breeze cut its way through the thick trees that towered over the ground, making them sway across the clear blue sky. A semi-overgrown path curled its way through the foliage, guiding the group towards a tranquil town.

The small green child, not much taller than a grown person's forearm, struggled to keep up with its two protectors. The man, focused on getting the group to their destination unharmed, and the woman, enchanted by the lush greenery, didn't notice the struggling child. Only when the woman crouched down next to a flower by the side of the path, did the child have a chance to catch its breath.

"Look at that" Melora said in awe, gently caressing the beautiful blue petals. The child made its way over to the woman, leaning against her leg as it let out a huge breath in exhaustion. She looked over at the child as it huffed and puffed out air through its small mouth.

"Oh I'm sorry little one" She put her hand on its head and lightly stroked it. "Do you want me to carry you?" An apologetic smile crossed her lips as she saw the tired nod that the child gave her. She picked it up comfortably in her arms as it cooed in happiness.

"Come on, we're almost there" The rough, modulated voice of the Mandalorian was heard a few meters ahead of them. Melora quickly picked the blue flower from the ground before she stood up with the child and jogged over to the man.

"You like it?" She asked the child, referring to the flower. The child reached out towards it, and mimicked the gentle caress that Melora had done to the petals before.

"Here" She said, as she began using the long stem to create a loop big enough to tie around one of the child's long ears.

"There you go, beautiful!" She smiled as she secured the blue flower. A sweet giggle came out of the child as it reached up to touch the new accessory on its head. The Mandalorian looked over at his two smiling companions. Without realizing it, the man began mirroring their expressions behind the cover of his helmet.

"Stay close" Said the Mandalorian as the group began nearing the entrance of the village.

It was a peaceful place, not much going on but a few villagers dressed in simple, but neat clothing, going about their day. The group walked along what could be classified as the main road, passing by huts and tents made from wood, hay and textiles.

Further down the road, a wider and taller hut came into view. There were a few people going in and out, and there was some movement coming from inside the building.

As the three of them made their way inside, they were met by people of different shapes, colours and sizes all eating and drinking happily. The sound of chatter, and food being made was heard as the woman followed closely behind the baskar clad man. They made their way to an empty table and sat down.

The Mandalorian looked around, feeling watched. The relaxed atmosphere didn't fool the bounty hunter into taking his guard down. His search however, was interrupted by a kind looking waitress.

"Welcome travelers," She looked at each of them respectfully. "Can I interest you in anything?"

"Bone broth, for these two" Said Mando, gesturing to his companions. Melora glanced over at him, slight concern for the Mandalorians' health since she couldn't remember the last time, if ever, that he ate.

"Oh well, you're in luck. I just took down a grinjer, so there's plenty!" Replied the waitress as she looked between the two adults.

"Can I interest you in a porringer of broth as well?" The lady looked at Mando in question.

"Just the two" He shook his head and changed the subject. "That one over there, when did she arrive?"

He tilted his head over to the other side of the cantina. Melora tried to resist the urge to turn her whole body around to look in the direction he pointed to, but she wasn't strong enough, as both she and the waitress turned around fully and looked.

The person in question was a well built, armoured woman with short black hair that sat alone a few tables away from them.

"I've seen her here for the last week or so" replied the older woman after both of them turned back around to the Mandalorian.

"What's her business here?" He asked.

"Business? Well, there's not much business in Sorgan, so I can't say" The waitress chuckled. Mando had heard enough and paid the kind woman for the food.

"Oh, thank you, sir" She said, a bit shocked as she saw the amount of credit. "I will get that broth to you as soon as possible, and I will throw in a flagon of spotchka just for good measure!" She smiled at him and Melora before she made her way to the kitchen.

Mando had barely listened to the last of what the kind waitress had said, as he tried to get his eyes on the suspicious woman instead. He leaned to his left, trying to look behind Melora who blocked his line of sight, but when he saw the table, it was empty.

Before Melora could question his actions he stood up and marched out of the cantina.

"Keep an eye on the kid" He said to Melora as he passed her in a rush.

"What are y-?" She stopped mid sentence, turned around in her chair and followed his leaving form with her eyes. When he was gone, she looked back at the child next to her, looking at it as if it had any answers. Her confusion was interrupted by the waitress, bringing their food.

"Here you go!" She smiled at Melora as she put the food down. "Where did your husband go?" Meloras head snapped to the older lady after hearing her refer to Mando, nearly giving her whiplash.

"Uh... well," She blinked a few times trying to mentally return back to Sorgan again. "I don't really know..." Some grunts and sounds of struggle were faintly heard coming from outside the cantina, interrupting her conversation with the waitress.

Alarms went off inside Meloras head. She grabbed the child, who had already begun eating its broth, and made her way outside to try and follow the sounds. The noise grew louder with every step she took as she protectively held the child in one arm and the other had a firm grip on her blaster. Once she turned a corner at the back of the cantina, she was met by Mando and the woman laying on the ground with blasters pointing at each other's heads, no longer fighting and out of breath. She stood before them in silence, as the child loundly sipped its broth.

"You want some soup?" Mando asked the woman casually.

~~~~~~

Hi! 

Its been a while, had some writers block but hopefullt Ill post more consistently soon. I find it more fun when I dont just copy and paste from the show, but when I try to tell it from a diffrent perspective if that makes sense. I really look forward to developing Mandos and Meloras relationship and the two of them as separate characters as well. I want their feelings to grow naturally but I have never writen a story like this (or any story actually) so please tell me if its going to fast or feels unnatural :)

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, If you did, feel free to press the star!