9 - Noah

Two Years Ago

"Well I think pineapple should go on pizza," Alex argues. "But only if it's burnt to a crisp."

I stare at my girlfriend in disbelief and she gives me a grin. "Burnt to a crisp? How have we gotten this close?"

Caleb and Paige come back with drinks. "I forget how much more expensive drinking is in California," he says, setting a pitcher down on the table with a shake of his head. "We're going to have to find some better hobbies."

"You can blame your girlfriend for turning twenty-one today," Alex counters, starting pouring everyone's drinks.

Paige rolls her eyes with a small smile on her face. "I voted to stay in."

Caleb responds by kissing her in the mouth. "Absolutely not." Moments later, "I'm going to go check on the pizza."

Alex jumps up from her seat. "I'll go with you and make sure you did what I asked."

He rolls his eyes as they walk away. "I did not ask them to burn your pineapple."

Paige looks very out of place at a bar and I wonder what it is she'd much rather be doing. "Happy birthday," I tell her.

She smiles. "Thanks, Noah." She drums her fingers against the table as she glanced outside.

"You don't want to be here?" I point out after a few minutes.

She shrugs, looking in the direction of Caleb and Alex. The smile doesn't leave her face, but I think I see a hint of sadness in her smile. "I'm just glad we're all able to be together. Caleb is only here for the day so I don't mind where we go as long as we get to be together."

Had I just met her, I would've probably taken her words for face value and the conversation could have moved on. "Even if it's in a bar on your birthday? What would you rather be doing?"

She stops to think, grabbing her cup and taking a sip. "I just wanted a quiet dinner," she says, then immediately looks guilty. "Not that I don't want to be here with you guys. It's just I'm in school all day and, yes it's my birthday and I should celebrate, but I just want a quiet night where I'm not studying or where I won't end up babysitting Alex when she's had too much to drink."

I then wonder how you could have celebrated as many birthdays with someone as Caleb and Paige have spent with each other, and not be aware of what the other person actually wants. Alex and Caleb are at the bar, both laughing at something that was said. They look like they want to be here. Like they came here together. I notice I don't feel anything at the sight of them together.

"What if we got it wrong?" I ask before I can stop myself. I mentally berate myself. I'm here with her sister. She's here with my best friend.

She looks at me, an unreadable expression on her face and I think she might ask me to elaborate. But before  she can answer, Caleb comes back with the pizzas, Alex following with a bowl presumably filled with burned pineapple chunks.

As they sit down, Alex grins at Paige. "We we're thinking, in honor of the big two-one, we should go to the club after this," she says excitedly. "Caleb's flight leaves in the afternoon tomorrow and he said he's down!"

Despite what she just said to me, Paige matches her smile. "That sounds like fun." I don't miss deep breath she lets out before grabbing her drink.