Chapter 3: It's You, Again?

Time seemed to freeze as you stood there in his arms in the middle of the office. He cleared his throat. "Are you going to stay in my arms forever?"

His voice  pulled you out from your stupor as you stepped back and sheepishly avoided looking at him. "Sorry."

Out for the corner of your eye, you saw him run a hand through his hair. His suit jacket tightened against his arm, revealing the imprint of the muscle underneath. You wanted to bite it. You shook your head at the invasive thought and tried to focus at the matter on hand.

Your boss ran up and adjusted his glasses. "Sir, it's lovely to have you here." He nervously pulled out his pocket watch. "Earlier than planned but that's okay." He muttered.

"Well, I wanted to take some alone time to acquaint
myself with the office."

Your boss nodded and gestured to you. "I hope you like what you've seen so far. I also see you've met our Y/N." He said with a fatherly smile.

"Yes. I did. It's been...memorable to say the least."

You tugged at the bottom of your cardigan and looked at the ground. Oh how you wished it would open up and swallow you whole right at that moment.

Your boss clapped, slightly startling you. "Should we head to the conference room then?"

Finally! You bent down and retrieved your iPad and pen from your bag and clutched them tight to your chest as you joined the line to enter the conference room. You didn't look behind to see if he was following you but judging by the little hairs on your neck that stood tall at attention, he totally was. Could this day get any worse? You hoped this meeting would clear things and he would be able to leave afterwards, back to his high rise office and his expensive coffee machines and an assistant that did everything for him.

You stood by the table, looking for a seat to sit down. One of your coworkers who you used to have a crush on gestured for you to come sit by them. You felt your cheeks warm up and you quickly shuffled to the empty chair. "Hey Y/N. Haven't seen you in a while."

You sat down and tugged on your ear - something you did when you were nervous. "It's been such a busy season with all the advertisements. How have you been?"

"Can't complain." They nodded and logged into their iPad before looking at you once again. "Uh, I'm sorry if this is totally out of the blue but would you like to join me for lunch today? There's this awesome sushi spot that opened about seven minutes away and I think you would really like it."

Were they asking you out on a date? Omg! You bit your lower lip and nodded. "That sounds good."

"Really?" They let out a relieved sigh. "Great. I'll meet you in the lobby at 12."

You were just about to respond when the sound of a binder hitting a table captured your attention. "Hello, everyone. I'm sure you all know who I am so I'll skip the pleasantries. I've put together a presentation highlighting some concerns I would like to bring to your attention."

Concerns? You tilted your head in confusion and his eyes remained on you as he started the presentation. "First and foremost, I don't think I need to remind you of the no fraternizing with coworkers policy we have in place. Small talk is fine but keep it professional. That includes going out to lunch together without the whole group." Once he said that, his eyes left yours and glared at your coworker.

Was that...anger? You were confused and looked away, hoping to catch a breath or two.

"What about clients?" A voice interrupted.

Everyone's head swivelled to the door. Standing there is a man you've never seen. He was tall. So very tall. He was wearing a black suit and his hair was styled so that there was not a single strand out of place. His eyes though, his eyes were focused completely on you.

Your boss jumped up from his chair and rushed to shake the hand of the man standing there. "H/N! What are you doing here? I thought our meeting wasn't until next week?"

Strangely, he still hadn't taken his eyes off you. Did you know him? His face was not one that could be easily forgotten.

"I'm hurt you don't recognize me." He mocked with his hand against his chest. "It's me, your favourite picky client."

This was your client? The client that gave you grief over using the wrong shade of blue? You reluctantly stood up and shook his hand. "Well-we haven't really met in person yet so I didn't know that was you."

His grip tightened around yours so it was firm. You felt tingles shoot up your arm and your eyes jumped to his. You wondered if he felt them too.

He knowingly smirked as if he could read your mind and turned to the CEO, pointing to the presentation screen. "You never answered my question."

Your CEO had his jaw clenched, frustration clear on his face. "This is an employees only meeting. Please see yourself out."

The tension in the room was so thick you could grab onto it and snip it with scissors.

"Then it's a good thing I'm an employee."

"What?" You quickly covered your mouth with your hand, not meaning to say it out loud.

He held his arms out like he was the host of an awards show. "Meet your new head of marketing."

Your CEO took a deep breath and turned back to the screen, clicking the remote in his hand so the slide would switch. "Secondly, I will be spending more time here. You won't need to make any adjustments, just go about as you usually do. I ask that you please excuse the movers who will be furnishing my new office."

Right at that second, a group of movers entered the office, carrying some boxes and furniture. What the hell was going on? You looked over at your boss and he himself seemed perplexed. Huh.

"Last but not least, I will be needing an assistant here. I have my own back at my main office but he does too much there. It would be unfair of me to drag him here. On that note-." He opened a random generator website. "Ive had your names all added here and I'll spin the wheel and it will randomly select someone to be my assistant for the unforeseeable future."

You glanced at your boss again and realized he was looking at you. You raised your eyebrows and he shrugged his shoulders. I have no clue. He mouthed.

Some cheesy elevator music started playing once he span the wheel. Your clasped your hands together as you began wishing...praying that it would be anyone but you. Please, please, PLEASE. You shut your eyes because you couldn't take the suspense.

The music suddenly stopped, signalling that a name was picked. The room began silent and you were been more terrified to open your eyes. You cracked one open and then the other. You looked around the room and everyone had their eyes on you.

You slowly turned your head to look at the screen. In big green letters was your name.

You were royally screwed.