Chapter 16: Toasted Marshmellows

A/N ♡︎: Hello my loves. How are you? I hope you're all doing well! Me....well to be honest, things have been quite hard. I go through each day on auto-pilot, finishing the things that need to be done and then laying awake at night and staring at the ceiling. Some nights my thoughts are empty and others, they're quite full. Overthinking is the worst 😪 It seems the things that once brought me happiness have become a weight...something that pulls me down and stresses me out. This chapter took me a while to write, slowly adding to it each day and then erasing everything because I thought it was horrible and I had convinced myself that you would all hate me if I put out such halfassed writing. But then I realized that's just anxiety. I'm doing this for fun because I genuinely enjoy writing. I enjoy interacting with you all like we're best friends (we totally are) and your support means the world to me. Oh gosh, I'm rambling. All of that to say, I apologize for the increase in wait times between chapters. I know how hard it can be to wait for a story update 😫 I'm slowly getting back to my normal self and I have already taken notes on how this story will end so please continuing having patience with me 💕

I appreciate you all and I love you all dearly.

With much love,
Your Luna 💗

♡︎
♡︎
♡︎

A cold breeze caressed your face, nature's gentle way of telling you it was time to get up.  Despite your lids feeling like they weighed a ton, you forced your eyes open, instantly greeted by a cloud filled sky. The leaves danced in the breeze, building quite the picturesque setting - even though this was a horrible situation to be in. The irony made you giggle, pain pulling you back to reality and sobering you up.

Sore. That's all you felt as everything came crashing down. Your eyes shifted around and you noticed that you had somehow maneuvered yourself to lay across his lap and shame filled you tenfold. He was still asleep, his head hanging down and his arms crossed against his chest. He looked so at peace, much different than the stress ball he's been in the office lately. Gratitude and pity was all you felt as you stared at him.

But this was your boyfriend's brother and there were certain boundaries that were not to be crossed -such as sleeping in his lap. You sighed and carefully sat up, ignoring the pull in your leg. The movement must've alerted him as he his eyes opened quickly, focusing on you.

"Morning," you said awkwardly.

He grimaced as he rotated his neck, "Good morning. How you feeling?"

Ashamed. "My entire body feels stiff."

He winced, "I hear ya. We should eat and then quickly head back."

He pulled water bottles and protein bars from his bag and handed you one of each. "Just what the doctor ordered."

"I hope this is organic. I've grown quite spoiled with the gourmet catering here."

"I'm not even going to justify that with an answer." He replied which had you laughing as you looked off in the distance, taking a bite out of the dry protein bar and contemplating how you could safely make it back to camp. Before you knew it, breakfast was done. He quickly took a look at your bandage, nodded with relief, and then packed up the blankets, making sure no trace of you was left behind.

He grabbed his backpack and put it on his front then kneeled down in front of you and wiggled his fingers behind his back. "Hop on."

He wanted to give you a piggyback ride? No way! The very thought of being on his back had you moving to get up but that was pointless since your injury made you fall back down. "I'm not getting on your back."