Chapter 9

When Lauren next awoke, she felt soft varnish under her body and a soft bedspread over her. She opened her eyes and realized she was back in Loki's chambers.

"Slow down, darling," said a soft voice beside her. She looked to the other side of the bed and saw Loki sitting there, his gaze resting on a page in a book. Without remembering the page, he flipped it closed and let it disappear.

"How did I get here?" she asked, sitting up. The blanket slid off her body a little and she noticed that she was no longer wearing her dress, but a simple dark green nightgown.

"I found you while you were sleeping and brought you here," he said, shrugging his shoulders. Loki got out of bed and walked across the room to the dining table. He poured water into a glass and came to her before handing it to her.

"Why?" she asked, confused, and he frowned.

"I assumed you were thirsty," he explained.

"No...I mean yes, I am thirsty, but what I really meant was why did you bring me back here?" -He looked at her even more confused- "You've already replaced me and you have no use for me. You would have gotten rid of all your problems."

Loki set the glass down on the nightstand and looked at the floor. "You're not a problem, Lauren." -He sat down on the bed next to her and cupped her cheek- "I only relieved you of your duties because you need all your strength for the unborn child and yourself. Besides, I don't want to get rid of you, Lauren, ever."

He smiled slightly and caressed her cheek with his thumb. She didn't know why, maybe it was all the circumstances, but she leaned in further and gently touched his lips with hers. The kiss was slow and Lauren enjoyed the gentleness; Loki gently stroked her waist and pulled her just a tiny bit closer to him. She deepened the kiss and, without thinking, she sat down on his lap; his arm wrapped around her waist. Her nightgown slid up and her fingers reached for the thumb of his shirt, but suddenly Loki stopped her.

"We shouldn't; not unless you're completely sure," Loki said, looking at her; Lauren averted her gaze.

"I thought you wanted me to want you to have sex with me," she said.

"I did, but that was before circumstances changed."

"I forgot you were soon to be a married man," Lauren scoffed, trying to get up from his lap, but he held her.

"That's not the reason," he explained, "I want you, but I don't want you to have another debilitating episode."

"I'm fine, Loki." Without another word, she leaned down to him and began kissing him passionately. His hands traveled under the fabric of her nightgown and caressed her skin before he grabbed it and pulled it over her head. He wrapped his arm around her waist and spun her around so she was under him. Loki sat up on his knees and pulled his shirt over his head, letting it fall carelessly to the floor beside him. Lauren wrapped her legs around his hips and pulled him down to her. She kissed him passionately and he pressed his tongue into her mouth. His hands roamed over her body and pushed up her nightgown before he broke the kiss for a moment and pulled the fabric over her head. He leaned down to her again and took one of her nipples into his mouth; Loki began sucking on it while rolling the other nipple between his fingers. His hands began to stroke down her body, but stopped when there was a knock on his door. Loki looked down at Lauren before sighing and getting up from the bed.

"Princess Sigyn," Loki greeted her loudly so Lauren could hear him. She froze and hastily sat up, pulling her nightgown back over her head. "What can I help with?"

Lauren suddenly saw Loki's shirt lying on the floor and quickly grabbed it to hide it under the covers.

"Your Majesty, may I enter?" asked Sigyn. Loki hesitated and glanced over his shoulder at Lauren before looking back at the princess.

"At the moment, it is quite inconvenient-"

"I realize Lauren is there, that's why I'm here. I heard about her fainting spell," she interrupted him. Lauren was surprised when her nightgown changed into a dark green dress. After a few seconds, however, Loki reluctantly stepped aside and let her in. The princess smiled at her as her gaze found her.

"Lauren, how are you?" she asked, sitting down a little on the edge of the bed; Sigyn took her hands in hers.

"Fine, Your Majesty," she replied kindly, smiling.

Loki was standing behind them with his arms folded in front of his chest, and he seemed to have somehow managed to put on a shirt in the short time. Probably also with the help of his Seidr.

"Call me Sigyn," she said, and Lauren saw the princess's gaze drift to her belly. "Is your unborn child well, too?"

She saw Loki stiffen when Sigyn said, Your unborn child. "You know about the child?"

Sigyn looked over her shoulder at him and nodded. "It wasn't hard to guess." She shrugged her shoulders.

Lauren found Loki's gaze and tried to figure out what he was thinking, but failed. Loki opened his mouth to speak, but she raised her hand and got up from the bed. "I am aware that this child is yours, Loki, and it is fine with me. We both do not desire this marriage, that is why I am here..." -Sigyn looked back and forth between Loki and Lauren- "I want to help you."

Lauren looked confused and got up from the bed as well. "What do you mean you want to help us?"

"We both don't want this marriage and, if you were to marry Lauren, then I would be beholden to no one and marry whoever I wanted " she explained, "So it would also be a bit selfish of me to help you."

Loki opened his mouth to speak, but before he could, Lauren spoke. "Why would you give up your chance to be queen?"

"Because of love. I want to be able to marry the man I truly love. Only then will I be free when the king breaks this betrothal, his word is above all in the nine worlds."

"But why should he marry me? I am no noblewoman, only a worthless Midgardian slave to him. He does not love me; there are dozens of women he would consider more worthy than me."

Sigyn looked to Loki, waiting for him to say something, as it seemed clear he wanted to say something. Finally, she sighed softly and looked back at Lauren. "Lauren-"

She raised her hand and stopped the princess. "No. I'm sorry, Sigyn, but I think I'm the wrong woman to help you." Without another word, she walked past them and hurried out of the room. She couldn't believe that Sigyn was actually suggesting that Lauren marry Loki. Why would he do it? He was merely being nice to her because she was pregnant. Norns, she couldn't believe that she even wanted to believe that he felt something for her. Why did she keep feeling so attracted to him? A few minutes ago, she was about to sleep with him again. She took a deep breath before continuing on to the gardens.

Sigyn turned to Loki after Lauren disappeared, giving him a stern look. "You should have told her."

Loki turned his back to her and ran a hand over his face. She shook her head before wordlessly leaving the room as well....