Chapter 7 | The awakening

While Zhan rested, Yibo secured the house. Again, all the windows were locked, and Yibo, out of his own restlessness, stepped out the front door every hour, looked around, then went back and locked the door. Then he always went back to Zhan's room and sat down in the armchair and waited.

A few hours later, when it was getting dark, Zhan started to wake up. Yibo got up from the armchair and went to the bed. He checked Zhan's pulse and then his body temperature. After Yibo took his hand off Zhan's forehead, he sighed with relief because he knew Zhan's fever had gone. 

Zhan squinted a little, but looked at Yibo

"How are you feeling?" asked Yibo worriedly.

After a heavy sigh, Zhan sat up on his bed, still a little weak.

"Tired. . . . But I'm glad at least the pain is gone. After your brother bit me, I felt like I was dying... It was horrible." Zhan said in horror.

"But, thankfully, that didn't happen." - said Yibo, then sat down on the edge of the bed. - "And, .. Do you feel anything other than fatigue?" asked Yibo.

Zhan looked at him questioningly, but then was a little startled to see that Yibo looked a little nervous and restless.

"No, I, ... Why do you ask that, Yibo? Maybe, is there something I should be worried about? ... Wait.. Maybe I'll soon become a werewolf too??" asked Zhan. He was starting to panic more and more.

"Hey, hey, Zhan, just calm down, ..." - Yibo took Zhan's hand. - "Just answer my question." said Yibo firmly.

"Okay. ..." said Zhan, more calmly.

"Do you feel any pain?" asked Yibo again.

"No. ... Nothing." - replied Zhan. He noticed that after Yibo heard that, he calmed down too. - "But why did you ask that?"

"Because of this. ..." replied Yibo shortly, then lifted Zhan's wrist and pulled up the sleeve of his shirt. Zhan hadn't even noticed until then that he was wearing a large bracelet.

It was a black leather bracelet adorned with three moonstones.

"What is this?" asked Zhan.

"A bracelet with moonstones, specially made to protect against werewolves. ... That's why I asked if you felt any pain. Because if you'd felt the burning pain right now, .. it would have meant I was late. ... But luckily, now it turns out, you didn't turn into a werewolf."

"Really? ... Oh, thank goodness.." said Zhan with relief, then leaned forward and hugged Yibo.

But their embrace didn't last long, because as soon as his bracelet touched Yibo's neck, Yibo hissed in pain. Hearing this, Zhan immediately let him go.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Yibo, .. I didn't mean to hurt you. It was an accident, I swear."

"Hey, you don't have to apologize. I'm fine. .. See?"