Chapter 13

Previously...

Stella looked back at Luxa, "So I guess that's it then."

Luxa sighed deeply, it sounded tired. "Okay. But we all must rest. We shall make the preparations in the morning."

.

.

.

Stella had been sleeping in her allocated room in the palace ever since the doctors had said that she was well enough to leave the hospital. Leo had stayed with her, and Stella reckoned that it was because of the prophecy and her almost  death. She allowed him to stay since she didn't want her brother to have a breakdown in front of her, and there was a spare bed plus plenty of space in the room available so there was no need to be stingy.

So, in the morning, Genevieve woke Stella up as usual to bathe. Within a matter of minutes, Stella found herself standing in High Hall, dressed in a fresh pair of shirt and pants, with her hair tied up in a ponytail. She had her thick, black boots that she had brought from home on her feet.

Next to her stood Leo, looking as sharp as ever, but the gloomy expression completely clouded his face. Leo had a bag hanging off his shoulder, containing necessities that anyone could possibly need on this trip. Stupid trip, as Leo would put it.

Hazard also had a bag full of any essentials that Leo failed to stuff in his own bag. Along with the bag, Hazard's bat stood beside him, a new one that he had bonded with after Hazard had lost his old bond—Thalia—in the Firelands when they were looking for the missing mice. Stella had come to know Hestia as a kind-hearted, loyal, and supportive bat. Stella thought Hestia suited Hazard well as a bond.

"Hey..." Gregor said, walking up to Stella and Leo, "You ready for this?"

Stella shrugged, "Dunno how I feel about it. It's gonna be hard forming a bond with a snake. I'll try."

Gregor stood near Leo, giving him an encouraging pat on the shoulder, "Trying is better than nothing. Good luck."

Orion made a perfect landing next to Stella. He looked ready for the big task as well.

Luxa surveyed the group, nodding with satisfaction, "Prepared?"

"Not quite!" Mareth exclaimed, limping in through a hallway with a sheathed sword in his hand. He hobbled up to Stella and placed it in her hands. "Take you this."

Stella didn't push it away or try to decline the offer because she knew she needed this, so, instead she began playing around with it.

What was the point of fighting when you knew you were going to die? Was there a point?

"Thanks, Mareth." Stella buckled the sword belt around her waist, but it ended in a failed attempt. She could never get it right in the first few tries, so continued to fix until she got it.

From the corner of her eye, Stella saw Howard, looking all tired and worried. He had been different since yesterday's dinner. Feeling Stella's gaze, Howard looked up at her, and both their eyes locked for a split second before Stella looked away. For some reason, she felt bad.

Howard's footsteps approached her, a sapphire necklace dangling off his fingers. Her sapphire necklace.

"You left this at the hospital," he said, his expression unreadable.

"Oh," said Stella. She had totally forgotten. She didn't want to loose her necklace down here; she cherished it. Stella awkwardly held out her hand, and he dropped her necklace into it. "Thanks." She didn't look at him to see his expression.

Stella hooked on her necklace, climbing onto Orion's back without looking back at Howard. She really felt the inexplicable emotion, which she could only describe as 'bad'. But what was the point in everything when you were going to die?