Chapter 17

Previously...

Stella turned around and walked back into the attached room, sheathing the sword. She placed the sword back on the holder as Luxa said the last part.

"We must prepare ourselves for the war."

Stella looked up at the man in the painting. That was going to be her. She was going to fight like he had. And she had to win this war for the Underland. Even if it meant that she'd die in the end.

.

.

.

Stella placed the key to the treasury room on the stone bedside table. She sneaked a quick glance at the photo of Howard and her at the festival. That was probably the only happiest moment she'd ever had in the Underland. Then — after the stabbing — everything and everyone had become more serious.

Stella ran her hand over the stab wound on her waist. It was only a scar, now. She had removed the bandages since there was no use for them anymore.

Leo stirred on his bed nearby. Since he was reluctant to leave her now, he'd set camp in her room. Stella didn't have anything against that. He had the right to be afraid for her. He was her brother after all. She just couldn't get over the fact that he'd possibly kill himself if she died. She just needed to keep him safe. She could probably tell Gregor to keep an eye on him.

Suddenly, Stella heard some movement outside the room. It'd sounded like someone had run really fast, but also really quietly. Curious, she made her way towards the doorway, pushing aside the curtains.

The darkness of the hallway took her by surprise. The torches lighting it had vanished. Stella turned on her infrared vision. No, not vanished. They were there alright. But they'd been knocked off their holders and were now lying on the floor with no flame.

Strange, thought Stella.

She looked back at Leo. He was snoring softly. The room had light from the few torches that gave it a dim glow. Maybe she should go and find out what was going on outside.

As Stella stepped out of the doorway, she felt a rush of wind behind her. A shiver crawled up her spine. She took a few more steps forward until she was facing the wall. There was another rush of wind behind her, and her back felt a little tingly. It was almost as if someone had brushed their hands on her back.

Stella spun around, her infrared vision was at its peak. She was just in time to glimpse the blur of colours as the invader rushed towards her, a knife in his hand.

"What the— " she managed to breathe out before dodging the oncoming attack.

The blade of the knife in the invader's hand screeched against the the stone wall of the palace, making Stella cringe. The invader recovered quickly and attacked again. This time, Stella ran.

She dashed up the hallway, relying completely on her infrared vision. She had to give credit for all that fencing practise because it was coming in handy. She avoided crashing into several walls or slipping on the fallen torches. She could feel the invader just a few paces behind her. She had to loose him.

Stella quickened her pace and did some sharp turns around the corners to save time. She darted through the crisscrossing hallways and through corridors. She stayed on the same floor of the palace since climbing down stairs would take time. She heard the invader puffing as he slowed — and eventually — she lost him within the maze of the palace.

Stella was puffed out. She had outran him. All that cross country running had come in handy. But who had that been? And why had he been after her? Stella slowed her pace and turned a corner.