Sections

WOODS
I looked into the career of Mayor Robert Perk. I want to find a possible connection to Mary Ann Ellis.

LINLEY
What did you find out?

WOODS
Robert Perk is the son of Rupert Perk and Dolores Perk, born Dubbs. Robert's father was an unskilled day laborer who struggled throughout his life to maintain his family.
Neither Rupert nor his wife was political or a member of a political party or movement before his son's political rise.
Robert was smart and had good grades in school, but his family's finances wouldn't have allowed him to attend college if he hadn't gotten a scholarship.  Robert was pretty much successful in college.

LINLEY
If he had good grades why did he bother to join the Socialist Party?

WOODS
Robert became a member of the Socialist Party weeks before he announced his run for mayor. This indicates that he might have looked for other options since he was not a member of the socialist youth.

LINLEY
But why do smart and promising men go into politics?

WOODS
Well, due to the decline of the old manufacturing industry and their move abroad, one of the few branches a promising college graduate can get a job with decent pay is politics. Robert Perk's move into politics is actually not uncommon, especially in this area. Compared to the country average, disproportionately more college graduates join a political party in this state than in any other state.

LINLEY
Why didn't he just move into another state?

WOODS
People here in this area grow up with patriotic love for their state and soil. This state has one of the lowest mobility rates in the entire country. People here don't like to leave the place they were born and grew up in. They rather stay and inherit the homes and properties of their parents and ancestors. This state is also leading in the number of death taxpayers.

LINLEY
Death tax? What's that?

WOODS
Death tax means that you have to pay taxes to the government for claiming your heritage.

LINLEY
Oh!

WOODS
Yeah, and in this state, people inherit more property than they actually buy. That's why more people in this state pay the death tax than the tax you have to pay when you buy a property.

LINLEY
But this has not only to do with people not willing to move, does it? I'm asking because the region is part of the rust belt!

WOODS
You are right, the reason why so many people in this state rather inherit than buy property has as well to do with the high unemployment rate. It is one of the highest in the country. No new jobs have been created after the big manufacturing companies left the state and country.

LINLEY
So, Robert Perk joins the Socialist Party, then runs for Mayor, and is elected at once into office. Isn't that remarkable?

WOODS
It is, but many within the Socialist Party don't seem to be happy with him. I talked to Frank Lloyd, who is an expert in politics and has followed the rise of many rookies in politics. Frank told me:
- Robert Perk was not known to the socialist elite. He was not a member of the socialist youth or any socialist organization. It is clear that they did not trust him.

LINLEY
Why this emphasis on trust?

WOODS
I asked the same question Frank and he explained:
- Political alliances have become very fragile because society has become unrecognizably diverse. A new party and movement sprout up almost monthly. This strains allegiance since every new political movement opens a new door for young and up-and-coming politicians to gain public appeal and garner political support. And young politicians mostly have to appeal to a diverse fellowship in these new movements but as well they have to emphasize extreme positions to get the necessary public recognition. A young politician who campaigns for preserving the good society their parents and grandparents built won't get enough followers on social media and election day. Whereas young politicians who campaign for radical change and the dissolution of the world their followers have known so far will gather enough support to hoist them into office.