The Video

WOODS
I made a background ground check on Karl Bailey.

LINLEY
Yeah.

WOODS
Yeah, Karl Bailey is a convicted pedophile!

LINLEY
What?

WOODS
Yeah, he went to prison.

LINLEY
But he was doing porn. How come?

WOODS
I talked to him.

LINLEY
He probably denied everything!

WOODS
Not at all! He said that people wouldn't understand him. That a lot of misunderstanding would have led to his incarnation.

LINLEY
What misunderstanding?

WOODS
He didn't go into detail. I asked him about Mary Ann and was surprising when he told me:
- We got on well!

LINLEY
But they had this loud quarrel on set Troy Gallen talked about?

WOODS
Karl confirmed the quarrel:
- I still don't know what this was all about! I was in my room preparing for the next shoot. Kathy (Mary Ann) walked in and then she went mad.

LINLEY
But why? Did Karl and Mary Ann work together before?

WOODS
Yes, they did! Karl told me:
- We shot together a couple of times. Everything was fine.

LINLEY
What was the quarrel all about?

WOODS
I noticed that Karl was reticent and therefore I talked to the police. Interestingly Karl was taken into custody a couple of weeks after he quarreled with Mary Ann.

LINLEY
Is this connected?

WOODS
I wasn't sure, but I talked to Mrs. Bailey. She was eager to claim the innocence of her son. She told me that it was this one video:
- Someone must have put that video into his pocket. I know Karl, he doesn't do these kinds of things.

LINLEY
What kind of things?

WOODS
Watch child porn!

LINLEY
Was it just one video?

WOODS
I talked to the lead investigator, Ed Morris. And he told me:
- We found in Karl Bailey's possession a couple of child abuse videos.

LINLEY
How did they find out about Karl Bailey! Did they have an eye on him?

WOODS
Morris told me:
- We were tipped off anonymously. It was a female voice. We tried to trace the call back, but the caller used a public phone.

LINLEY
If the police didn't suspect Karl, then someone close to him, who knew about him and who must have tipped off the police!

WOODS
Karl lives with his mother. The few friends he has are probably those with whom he does porn.

LINLEY
Then we have to look into these people!

WOODS
I asked around no one seems to hold a grudge against Karl.

LINLEY
Except, Mary Ann! She wasn't willing to shoot with Karl ever again. At least that's what Troy told us!

WOODS
Exactly, and I wondered why!

LINLEY
The cause of the quarrel!

WOODS
Therefore I asked  Morris about the "material" Karl had on him when he was caught by the police. Morris told me that he possessed the usual pedophile stuff:
- We differentiate between "material" that is old and is reused many times by pedophiles and "material" that's new. Karl Bailey had "material" on him that was known to the police.

LINLEY
What does that mean?

WOODS
It means that Karl Bailey was watching child abuse videos Richard Flask recorded while he was a teacher in the junior high school Mary Ann hanged herself.

LINLEY
What?

WOODS
Detective Morris told me:
- We always try to trace the source of abuse videos to get to other abusers and pedophiles but Karl Bailey possessed child abuse videos from the Flask case.

LINLEY
Richard Flask admitted to 7 child abuse cases!

WOODS
Morris told me that one of the videos they found on Karl Bailey was of low quality, but it shows one of the child victims of the Flask case. Flask made one video of each child he abused but of one victim he made two.

LINLEY
Who?

WOODS
Grace Wilting!

LINLEY
Did she go into the same school as Marry Ann?

WOODS
Yes, she did! I looked the seven victims up in the yearbooks Norman Cold gave me. Grace Wilting is one of them.

LINLEY
Why did Flask make two videos of her?

WOODS
This sick bastard was probably about to make more abuse videos before he was caught.

LINLEY
Where are these abuse victims now?

WOODS
Most of them could start ordinary lives. Detective Morris explained:
- Richard Flask used a mental drug on them that erased their short-term memory. The victims didn't remember the abuse they went through. Because of the mounting evidence the police already had and Flask's confession the police didn't want to induce another psychological trauma on the victims.

LINLEY
And the parents of the abused children agreed?

WOODS
They did!

LINLEY
And Grace Wilting?

WOODS
I looked into the medical records of Grace Wilting. She is the only one of the abuse victims who does not live a regular life. She spent most of her life in a mental asylum because she was diagnosed with a severe bipolar mental disorder. According to Grace Wilting's medical record, she is a danger to herself and her environment.

LINLEY
Well, she was the victim of abuse!

WOODS
That's not all. I could obtain a recent photo of Grace Wilting and Grace is the strange woman who walked in on the set of Troy Gallen to talk to Mary Ann.

LINLEY
But Georgina Turner, Mary Ann's best friend didn't know anyone besides her clique who was close to Mary Ann.

WOODS
Nor did Chad Stevens. Chad knew that Grace went into the same class as Mary Ann but he never saw them together. Mary Ann and Grace even went to High School together while all of Mary Ann's friends like Georgina Turner and Chad Stevens wrote in her yearbook, but there is no mention of Grace Wilting in Mary Ann's yearbook.

LINLEY
Maybe they met later?

WOODS
I asked Mary Ann's husband David but doesn't know Grace either.

LINLEY
What does this mean?

WOODS
Well, I'm not sure anymore that there were only seven abuse victims.

LINLEY
Why?

WOODS
I compared Grace Wilting's and Mary Ann Ellis' photos from their time in junior high school and before. Grace and Mary Ann looked much alike. And the eighth child abuse video is of low quality so one cannot see the face of the victim. Only the setting, the classroom, is the same.

LINLEY
This could mean that Mary Ann was the eighth victim?

WOODS
It is possible since Richard Flask was very sophisticated in the use of the drug that erases people's short-term memory. Even if there were more victims, who could tell? The police caught Richard Flask because of the abuse videos he took. Oddly enough, they didn't pursue the case any further, after Flask's confession.

LINLEY
Why?

WOODS
We'll have to find out!