Chapter 5

It's Over

Blaise crashed spectacularly at the calamitous bang of his front door being slammed open. The paper he had been holding to his tongue was shaken by the unexpected interruption and green shavings littered his t-shirt. His body jerked violently and he found himself on his floor since he had been sitting precariously close to the edge of the couch.

He scowled at his visitor and narrowed his eyes only to have, seemingly, jet black ones glare back at him dangerously. Blaise closed his mouth and stopped the reprimand that had been imminent at the sight of the other's warning stare.

"What the hell did you do?"

Oh, he was angry. That was not good. Blaise knew he might be in a teensy, tiny, bit of trouble for his, um, unwarranted....help but that mixture must have been decidedly potent if it had Draco staring at him like that.

"I asked you a question, Blaise," Draco said icily, each syllable edged with a threat, "What the hell did you give me?"

Blaise had rarely, if ever, been frightened by his best friend but this was definitely an occasion that would qualify. He grinned sheepishly and attempted a really bad and ill-advised light-heartedness, "You should sit. We'll talk. Someone made me spill my pot, so let me clean this up and I'll answer your question."

Draco pointed his wand at Blaise. When had he gotten that out? His tone held no room for friendly vibes to be bandied about at the moment, "What did you do to me?"

Blaise puffed out his chest, feeling indignant at the accusation, "I didn't do anything to you. Everything you did was of your own volition, I didn't create anything."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Draco barked, not changing his stance in the slightest, "What exactly did you do to me?"

Blaise shrugged, trying to make himself as small as possible, "I just...I...um...Imayhaveslippedsomethinginyourdrink," he managed in one breath.

Draco continued to glare at him and raised an eyebrow as if to say, 'that's not going to cut it.'

Blaise took a deep breath and began calmly, "When we met for lunch and you mentioned that you were going to see Potter later, I slipped something in your drink to make your encounter a little less....tight-lipped."

"What, Blaise?" Draco spat, looking less and less like his best friend and more like a bounty hunter ready to collect by the second.

"It was, kind of, a mixture between Veritaserum and a Revealing Potion." Blaise stared at him innocently, "So see? You didn't say anything you didn't mean, or anything that wasn't true." Blaise stared up at Draco, having never actually gotten up, "What exactly did you say, by the way?"

Draco seemed too shocked to answer and only managed a short and halting, "You didn't....That was...all me?"

Blaise was immediately intrigued and sat up further. "Dray, what did you say," Blaise asked in an awe-like reverence.

Draco seemed distracted, as if he were replaying the entire conversation in his head. He sat down heavily on the couch and Blaise scrambled to join him. Draco placed his head in his hands and was staring, unblinkingly, at the carpet. He began speaking in a dead monotone, "I felt like it was being pulled from me, it was as if I couldn't stop myself and I was forced to stay passive as I said all these things I had no desire to reveal. Most of those things had been buried for so long....I forgot that I knew them in the first place." Draco gave a pronounced sigh, "I told him that he didn't care about me, that he barely even liked me, that he didn't treat me right, that he was just using me, and that I hated loving him. Then, I asked him for a break." Draco straightened and his eyes widened, "Oh god, I have to tell him that I wasn't myself. I have to beg him to take me back."